1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonhomogeneous 2nd order dif question?

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    y''-2y''-3y=3e^2t find the general solution

I have tried Ate^t, Ate^2, Ate^3
    none have worked they all leave extra variables that dont match up.
    is there another combination I could try?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You need to do this in two parts:
    Find the solutions to the homogeneous equation y'' - 2y' -3y = 0.
    Find a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous equation y'' - 2y' -3y = 3e2t.

Your general solution will be all solutions to the homogeneous equation plus the particular solution.

For your homogeneous equation, a basis for your solution set is {e3t, e-t}.

For a particular solution, you would ordinarily try a solution of the form yp = Ae3t, but that won't work in your nonhomogeneous equation, since this is a multiple of one of the solutions of the homogeneous equation. Instead, try yp = Ate3t, and solve for the value of A that works.

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3
    opps wrote the wrong right side down.
    its y''-2y'-3y=-3te^-t

i got the e^3t and e^-t already, the right side is still tricky
    I keep getting 6At(e^-t)-12A(t^2)(e^-t)=-3t(e^-t)... and that was using A(t^3)(e^-t)
    or
    2A(e^-t)-6At(e^-t)=-3t(e^-t) with using A(t^2)(e^-t)
    or
    -2A(e^t)=-3t(e^-t) using At(e^-t)

I cant see what Im doing wrong? is there an error I missed or just a method I havent used yet?

5. Jul 16, 2009 #4

Mark44

That makes us even. I misread the function on the right side of your original DE. I thought you had it as 3e3t, but what you had originally was 3e2t, and you have changed that now to -3te-t.

What I said about the solution to the homogeneous equation is still valid. For your particular solution, try yp = At2e-t and solve for the constant A. In other words, with this function, calculate yp'' - 2yp' - 3yp = -3te-t. Group all of your terms by their power of t: t0, t, and t2. The coefficient of the t0 terms has to be zero, as does the coefficient of the t2 terms. The coefficient of the t term has to be -3.

Your general solution will be y(t) = c1e3t + c2e-t + Ate-t (with a specific value in place of A).

6. Jul 16, 2009 #5
    thats my problem everything that should cancel isnt canceling.

2A(e^-t)-6At(e^-t)=-3t(e^-t) with using A(t^2)(e^-t)
    is what I am left with. What do I do with the 2A?

7. Jul 16, 2009 #6

Mark44

How about this: yp = Ate-t + Bt2e-t? I confess I'm a little rusty on this.

8. Jul 16, 2009 #7
    hey dont worry about it, thanks for the help. Ill try that I think that might work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook