Nonhomogeneous Power Series Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving nonhomogenous second order differential equations using the Frobenius method and the importance of choosing the correct indicial roots. The conversation also touches on the process of finding the particular solution for specific equations.
Sculptured
For the fun of it, my DE book threw in a couple of problems involving nonhomogenous second order DE's in the section I'm currently going through. Although I have solved for the complementary solution, any suggestions on how to find the particular solution?

For example, the one I'm looking at right now is y''-xy = 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]1= 1+ 0x+ 0x^2+ 0x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
After you have written the left side of the equation as a power series in x, do the same on the right. Coefficients of powers on the left must equal coefficients of corresponding powers on the right. Here, your coefficient of x0 must be equal to 1 and all others equal to 0.

That was too easy. Suppose your equation were y"- xy= ex?

Expand ex in a power series:
[tex]e^x= 1+ x+ (1/2)x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (1/n!)x^n+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]
Now the coefficient of xn, on the right, will be equal to 1/n!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks; makes good sense.

I have another question. This time it involves indicial roots. Working with the Frobenius method I find that in the DE: xy'' + 2y' -xy = 0 both of the indicial roots come to give me the same series solution. I used r = 0 to attain it and the book used r = -1. (or so I suppose since r=-1 is in their solution) The problem comes in that when I use r = 0 it doesn't solve the DE while r = -1 does. Is there any reason why there should be this difference between roots? Any rule of thumb to work with when picking which roots to use?

The book uses the larger root in its first solution when giving the general way of solving this case of the Frobenius method. When doing an actual example it uses the smaller root for the first solution. I take it that the smaller root should always be applied first?

To quote from a differential equations textbook,
Differential Equations by Mark Krusemeyer said:
If two roots of the indicial equation differ by an integer, it may be impossible to find an independent solution of the form
[tex]x^{\lambda_1}\sum_{n=0}^\infty{a_nx^n}[/tex]
for the smaller root.

In that case, you can use the known solution, corresponding to the larger root of the indicial equation, to reduce the order of the equation and solve that for an independent solution. Of course, since you only know the first solution as an infinite series, that may be very difficult!

Sculptured said:
Thanks; makes good sense.

I have another question. This time it involves indicial roots. Working with the Frobenius method I find that in the DE: xy'' + 2y' -xy = 0 both of the indicial roots come to give me the same series solution. I used r = 0 to attain it and the book used r = -1. (or so I suppose since r=-1 is in their solution) The problem comes in that when I use r = 0 it doesn't solve the DE while r = -1 does. Is there any reason why there should be this difference between roots? Any rule of thumb to work with when picking which roots to use?

The book uses the larger root in its first solution when giving the general way of solving this case of the Frobenius method. When doing an actual example it uses the smaller root for the first solution. I take it that the smaller root should always be applied first?

I think you have got the indicial roots wrong. The correct roots are r=0 and r=1.

quick question. So for this question, y" - xy = 1...is the particular solution y=1?Also, how would i find the particular solution to y"+y=x?

Last edited:

What is a nonhomogeneous power series solution?

A nonhomogeneous power series solution is a method used to solve differential equations that cannot be solved using other traditional methods, such as separation of variables or substitution.

How does a nonhomogeneous power series solution differ from a homogeneous power series solution?

A homogeneous power series solution involves finding a power series representation for a solution that satisfies a homogeneous differential equation, while a nonhomogeneous power series solution also takes into account the presence of a nonhomogeneous term in the differential equation.

What are the steps involved in finding a nonhomogeneous power series solution?

The steps involved in finding a nonhomogeneous power series solution include:

• 1. Finding a power series representation for the nonhomogeneous term.
  • 2. Substituting the power series representation into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients.
  • 3. Combining the homogeneous and nonhomogeneous power series solutions to get the final solution.

What types of differential equations can be solved using a nonhomogeneous power series solution?

A nonhomogeneous power series solution can be used to solve differential equations of any order, as long as they have constant coefficients.

What are the advantages of using a nonhomogeneous power series solution?

Compared to other methods, a nonhomogeneous power series solution can be used to solve more complex differential equations and can sometimes provide a more accurate solution. It also allows for the solution to be expressed in a power series form, which can be easier to work with in some cases.