1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nonhomogeneous wave equation with vanishing initial conditions

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let u(x,t) be the solution of the following initial value problem for the nonhomogeneous wave equation,

[tex]u_{x_1x_1}+u_{x_2x_2}+u_{x_3x_3}-u_{tt}=f(x_1,x_2,x_3,t)[/tex]

[tex]u(x,0)=0[/tex] and [tex]u_t(x,0)=0[/tex]

[tex]x\in\Re^3 , t>0[/tex]

Use Duhamel's Principle and Kirchoff's formula to show that

[tex]u(x,t)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{\overline{B}(x,t)}\frac{f(x',t-r)}{r}dx'_1dx'_2dx'_3[/tex]

where

[tex]r=\left|x-x'\right|=[(x_1-x'_1)^2+(x_2-x'_2)^2+(x_3-x'_3)^2]^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

and [tex]\overline{B}(x,t)[/itex] is the ball in [itex]\Re^3[/itex] with center at x and radius t.
    2. Relevant equations

Duhamel's Principle
    Let [itex]v(x,t;\tau)[/itex] be the solution of the associated (to the above initial value problem) "pulse problem"

[tex]v_{x_1x_1}+v_{x_2x_2}+v_{x_3x_3}-v_{tt}=0[/tex]

[tex]v(x,\tau;\tau)=0[/tex] and [tex]v_t(x,\tau;\tau)=-f(x,\tau)[/tex]
    [tex]x\in\Re^3 , t>\tau[/tex]

then
    [tex]u(x,t)=\int^t_0v(x,t;\tau)d\tau[/tex]

Kirchoff's Formula

Suppose [itex]p\in C^k(\Re^3)[/itex] where k is any integer [itex]\geq[/itex]2 Then the solution of

[tex]u_{x_1x_1}+u_{x_2x_2}+u_{x_3x_3}-u_{tt}=0[/tex]

[tex]u(x,0)=0[/tex] and [tex]u_t(x,0)=p(x)[/tex]

[tex]x\in\Re^3 , t>0[/tex]

is given by

[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi t}\int_{S(x,t)}p(x')d\sigma_t[/tex]

where S(x,t) is the surface of the sphere with radius t and centre at the point x. [itex]d\sigma_t[/itex] is the element of surface on S and x' is the variable point of integration.

3. The attempt at a solution

I should split this into two parts, one for each formula.
    first I need to use Kirchoff's formula to find v and then Duhamel's principle to find u.

The problem with using Kirchoff is that the initial conditions are given at t=0 whereas our initial conditions for v are at [itex]t=\tau[/itex]

So a transformation into kirchoff's formula to give the required initial conditions, [itex]t'=t-\tau[/itex]

so

[tex]v(x,\tau;\tau)=0[/tex] and [tex]v_t(x,\tau;\tau)=-f(x,\tau)[/tex]

becomes

[tex]v(x,0;\tau)=?[/tex] and [tex]v_t(x,0;\tau)=-f(x,?)[/tex]

which doesn't give me anything because of that parameter in v. The t value and the parameter must be equal to give a known value.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to get Kirchoff's formula to work with this? Or am I going in completely the wrong direction?
    I'm sure that this is only the first of many sticking points in this question but I thought I'd ask one question at a time...:)

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted