Understanding Imaginary Magnetic Component

• Thread starter Muhammad Ali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, complex numbers are used to describe quantities that have magnitudes and phases, such as electromagnetic fields. They are represented as a combination of a real and imaginary component, and can be used to describe both electric and magnetic fields. Complex numbers have useful properties and can provide a convenient mathematical representation for these types of quantities.
Muhammad Ali
Thesedays I am trying to understand the role and working of complex numbers. Previously, I posted my question here but I could not get the required answer. Rightnow I am reading about a complex numbers in Toronto University's website and there I read a very confusing and irritating statement which as follows:

The strength of an electromagnetic field. This is a directly measurable quantity that is measured by a complex number. That number will be purely real if the field is all electric with no magnetic component, purely imaginary if the field is all magnetic with no electric component, and in other cases will have a non-zero real part and a non-zero imaginary part.

So according to this statement in the absence of electric field we have an imaginary magnetic component.
So, what is meant by an imaginary magnetic component?
Let's consider a laboratory where we have an Electromagnetic field. Now let's remove the electrical component from field so that only magnetic component remains.
So, will this magnetic component have no effect on compass?
Secondly, if it has the effect on the compass (since I believe it should be the case). Then, the magnetic field should have the strength which is measured or represented by imaginary number (according to the scientists).
So, how an imaginary number can give the answer (the real valued answer)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all!
A complex number z can be written as : z=x+iy, where x and y are REAL numbers, and i the imaginary unit.

I'm not familiar with the actual situation, but it is evident than when it is said that z is purely imaginary, it means that x=0. y is then the REAL magnetic component.

They're just representing the electric and magnetic fields with a two dimensional quantity, a "vector field" with a different vector defined at each point in space. One component of this vector represents the E field, the other represents the M field. There is no particular reason why imaginary numbers need to be used at all; any 2D vector field would work just as well. As it happens, complex numbers have some useful arithmetic properties that make them easy to use in this context, but there's nothing "imaginary" about the magnetic field.

Keep in mind that when you go through a complete calculation and finally solve for, say, the force on a compass's needle, you will always get a real number.

- Warren

Well, but I would like to add that the MEASURED quantities are not complex or imaginary (as it seems to say in OP's book); it is the MATHEMATICAL REPRESENTATION that can be cast in the convenient language of complex numbers.

don't confuse mathematical meaning of "imaginary", "real", etc. with other meanings of those words.

don't confuse a mathematical model of a situation with that situation itself

Muhammad Ali said:
Thesedays I am trying to understand the role and working of complex numbers.
The role of complex numbers is to describe things well described by complex numbers.

Real numbers are often used to describe things, because real numbers have nice properties. For example, they form a continuum, and they have an ordering. So, one possible use of real numbers is to describe something whose possible values are ordered and form a continuum.

The complex numbers also have nice properties. For example, they are also a continuum, and they can be viewed as having a magnitude and a phase. So, one possible use of complex numbers is to describe something whose possible values form a continuum, and they have magnitudes and phases.

The strength of an electromagnetic field. This is a directly measurable quantity that is measured by a complex number. That number will be purely real if the field is all electric with no magnetic component, purely imaginary if the field is all magnetic with no electric component, and in other cases will have a non-zero real part and a non-zero imaginary part.
For some purposes, it is useful to consider the field

G = E + i B.

Since E and B are real vectors, we have

Re G = E
Im G = B

arildno said:
Well, but I would like to add that the MEASURED quantities are not complex or imaginary
It depends on your measurement. :tongue: If you are measuring a complex quantity, such as G, then your measurement had better be complex when appropriate!

1. What is an imaginary magnetic component?

An imaginary magnetic component is a mathematical concept used to explain the behavior of complex numbers in electromagnetic fields. It represents the part of the magnetic field that is out of phase with the electrical field.

2. How is the imaginary magnetic component calculated?

The imaginary magnetic component is calculated using the formula B = μ * H, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ is the permeability of the material, and H is the magnetic field intensity.

3. What is the significance of the imaginary magnetic component in electromagnetic waves?

The imaginary magnetic component is crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It helps determine the direction of the magnetic field and its relationship with the electric field, which is essential for predicting wave propagation and interference.

4. How does the imaginary magnetic component affect the properties of materials?

The presence of an imaginary magnetic component can affect the magnetic properties of materials, such as their permeability and susceptibility. It can also contribute to energy loss and heat generation in conductive materials.

5. Can the imaginary magnetic component be observed in real-world applications?

Although it cannot be directly observed, the effects of the imaginary magnetic component can be observed in various applications, such as electromagnetic induction, radio transmission, and MRI imaging.