Nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp

• Thread starter carrie.lugo
  • Start date
In summary, Zp x Zp (the product of the integers mod p, a prime, with itself) has a total of p+1 nontrivial subgroups, not just 3, as previously stated. This is because Zp x Zp can be viewed as a vector space over the field Zp, with a dimension of 2. Therefore, the number of 1-dimensional subspaces and hence nontrivial subgroups is equal to p+1. This is true for all primes p, except for p=2, where the number of nontrivial subgroups is actually 3.
carrie.lugo
Am I right in saying that Zp x Zp (the product of the integers mod p, a prime, with itself) has only 3 nontrivial subgroups?

By Lagrange's theorem, we know any nontrivial subgroup would have order p, since the order of Zp x Zp is p^2.

So I am looking at it like this:
Picture all elements of Zp x Zp filling a p x p matrix, with (0,0) in the top left and (p-1, p-1) in the bottom right. The only nontrivial subgroups I see that you can form are by taking all the elements in the first column, all the elements in the first row, and all the elements on the main diagonal.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
carrie.lugo said:
Am I right in saying that Zp x Zp (the product of the integers mod p, a prime, with itself) has only 3 nontrivial subgroups?

By Lagrange's theorem, we know any nontrivial subgroup would have order p, since the order of Zp x Zp is p^2.

So I am looking at it like this:
Picture all elements of Zp x Zp filling a p x p matrix, with (0,0) in the top left and (p-1, p-1) in the bottom right. The only nontrivial subgroups I see that you can form are by taking all the elements in the first column, all the elements in the first row, and all the elements on the main diagonal.

Is this correct?

No, it's not. The number is [itex]\,\frac{p^2-1}{p-1}=p+1\,[/itex] , which is three iff [itex]\,p=2\,[/itex] .

The trick? Since [itex]\,\Bbb Z_p\times \Bbb Z_p\,[/itex] is a vector space over the field [itex]\,\Bbb Z_p\,[/itex] , of dimension [itex]\,2\,[/itex] , what

you want is all the 1-dimensional subspaces, so just count how many possible basis are there that yield different 1-dimensional subspaces...!

DonAntonio

Thanks, DonAntonio! I see it now. :)

What are nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp?

Nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp are subsets of the group Zp x Zp that contain more than just the identity element and the entire group. They are important in group theory and have applications in various fields of mathematics and computer science.

How many nontrivial subgroups are there in Zp x Zp?

There are p-1 nontrivial subgroups in Zp x Zp, where p is a prime number. This can be proved using the theorem that states that every subgroup of a finite abelian group is also a finite abelian group.

What is the order of nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp?

The order of nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp is a divisor of p-1. This is because Zp x Zp is a cyclic group and the order of any subgroup must divide the order of the group.

How can nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp be generated?

Nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp can be generated by choosing any non-identity element of Zp x Zp and repeatedly taking its powers until all elements in the subgroup are generated. This process is known as cyclic subgroup generation.

What is the significance of nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp?

Nontrivial subgroups of Zp x Zp have various applications in cryptography, coding theory, and group theory. They can also be used to construct error-correcting codes and to study the structure of finite fields and their extensions.