Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) is a field iff p is a prime p ≠ 1 (mod 4)

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) is a field if and only if p is a prime such that p = 3 (mod 4). The conversation also covers the steps and reasoning behind proving that x^2 + 1 is reducible if p = 4m + 1, and irreducible if p = 4m + 3. This includes discussing the properties of cyclic groups under multiplication mod p, using Lagrange's theorem and Fermat's theorem, and calculating the number of elements of order d in a cyclic group.
Bachelier
I am stuck on this proof.

Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) is a field iff p is a prime p = 3 (mod 4)

We're assuming p is odd, so p is either 4m + 1 or 4m + 3.

==>/ let Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) be a field
I need to find that x^2 + 1 is reducible if p =4m+1

I can see it for Z5, Z13, Z17 for instance but I don't seem to be able to generalize it. Any advice.

<==/ if p = 3 (mod 4), we must show x^2 + 1 is irreducible over Zp

I assume otherwise, then x^2 + 1 = (x+a)(x+b)
gives me, ab ≡ 1 (mod p)
a+b≡ 0(mod p)

where should I go after this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
there are some "intermediate steps" you should prove first:

Zp-{0} is a cyclic group, under multiplication mod p.

if k divides the order of a cyclic group G, then G has a subgroup of order k.

Deveno said:
there are some "intermediate steps" you should prove first:

if k divides the order of a cyclic group G, then G has a subgroup of order k.

let me try. the second part is a direct application of Lagrange.

Deveno said:

Should I use Fermat for this part?

no, not really. it's a special case that ONLY holds for cyclic groups. Lagrange's theorem says this: if H is a subgroup of G, then |H| divides |G|. Lagrange's theorem does not guarantee that if k divides the order of G, G has a subgroup of order k. for example S5 is of order 120, and 30 divides 120, but S5 has no subgroups of order 30 (or of order 15, for that matter).

but this IS true, if G is cyclic (and you should PROVE this! it's bad mathematics to just take people's word for stuff. i could be lying, or i could just have "woke up stupid" today, and be giving you bad advice).

(a hint: if G = <g>, and |G| = n, and k divides n, so that gn = e, what is the order of g(n/k)?).

proving that (Zp)x is cyclic, is a bit trickier (but still important!).

Bachelier said:
Should I use Fermat for this part?

Fermat only shows that the order of the elements of (Zp)x divide p-1, you need to show that one of them actually HAS order p-1.

Deveno said:
Fermat only shows that the order of the elements of Zpx divide p-1, you need to show that one of them actually HAS order p-1.

Well isn't like you said, a in Zp)* has order k is ak [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 (mod p)

so per Fermat, a[itex]\Phi (p)[/itex] [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 (mod p), hence for all a in
Zp)* a has order p-1 since [itex]\Phi (p)[/itex] = p-1

no, we only know that for a ≠ 0 in Zp, that ap-1= 1 (mod p).

we don't know that some smaller number won't work, rather than p-1.

for example, consider (Z13)x.

clearly 312 = 1 (mod 13).

but 33 = 1 (mod 13) so the order of 3 is NOT 12.

i'll give you a push in the right direction: consider how many elements of order d, where d|(p-1) you must have. add these up, for every divisor d of p-1. how many elements is that?

can we also say, let a in Zp*
consider <a> = { 1, a, a^2, ...}
since <a> belongs to Zp*, then order <a> divides p-1 the order of Zp*
hence |<a>|= p-1
hence for all a, |<a>|= Zp*

Deveno said:
no, we only know that for a ≠ 0 in Zp, that ap-1= 1 (mod p).

we don't know that some smaller number won't work, rather than p-1.

for example, consider (Z13)x.

clearly 312 = 1 (mod 13).

but 33 = 1 (mod 13) so the order of 3 is NOT 12.

got it. thx

to continue, suppose d|(p-1).

IF we have an element a in Zp of order d, we can look at <a>.

what other elements of <a> have order d? ak, where gcd(k,d) = 1.

that's φ(d) elements, right?

isn't it true that:

[tex]p-1 = \sum_{d|(p-1)} \phi(d)[/tex] ?

Deveno said:
to continue, suppose d|(p-1).

IF we have an element a in Zp of order d, we can look at <a>.

what other elements of <a> have order d? ak, where gcd(k,d) = 1.

that's φ(d) elements, right?

isn't it true that:

[tex]p-1 = \sum_{d|(p-1)} \phi(d)[/tex] ?

I get it, but where are we going with this?

How do I prove that if p is congruent to 1 mod 4, that the field Z* mod p contains elements with order 4?

ok, so if we add up all the elements of order d, we get φ(d) of them (can't have more because if a is of order d, then all the elements of <a> are the d solutions to
xd-1 = 0, so that's all there is, and can't have less, since every element of (Zp)x has SOME order).

so we actually have φ(p-1) generators of order p-1 (although we only needed 1 to show that (Zp)x is cyclic).

but...if (Zp)x is cyclic and p = 4k+1, then p-1 = 4k, we have a cyclic group of 4k, which means we have a subgroup of order 4 (since 4 divides 4k), which is cyclic, so we have an element of order 4.

and such an element of order 4 satisfies x2 + 1 = 0 (so x2+1 is reducible, see?).

on the other hand, if p = 4k+3, then p-1 = 4k+2, and 4 does NOT divide 4k+2, our group is still cyclic, but cannot have a subgroup of order 4 (by Lagrange, finally we can use it), so cannot have an element of order 4, and thus x2+ 1 = 0 has no solutions, so it is irreducible (no linear factors).

Thank you Brother. I truly did learn a lot from your explanations.
:)

1. What is Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1)?

Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) is a quotient ring, also known as a residue class ring. It is a ring of polynomials over the integers modulo a prime number p, where the polynomial x^2 + 1 is set to be equal to 0.

2. Why is it important for p to be a prime number?

In order for Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) to be a field, p must be a prime number. This is because only prime numbers have the property that their only divisors are 1 and themselves. This is necessary for the ring to have the properties of a field, such as being able to divide and have multiplicative inverses for all non-zero elements.

3. What is the significance of x^2 + 1 being equal to 0?

In this context, x^2 + 1 being equal to 0 means that x^2 is congruent to -1 modulo p. This is a necessary condition for Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) to be a field, as it ensures that every element in the ring has a multiplicative inverse.

4. How does the condition p ≠ 1 (mod 4) relate to Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) being a field?

The condition p ≠ 1 (mod 4) is necessary for Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) to be a field because it ensures that -1 (which is congruent to 3 modulo 4) is not a quadratic residue modulo p. This is a necessary condition for x^2 + 1 to have no roots in Zp, which is a requirement for the ring to be a field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the field property of Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1)?

Understanding the field property of Zp[x]/(x^2 + 1) is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. It is also used in practical applications such as error-correcting codes and digital signal processing.