Norm of a Functional and wavefunction analysis

In summary, the speaker is working on analyzing the properties of an ODE and its solution in a Hilbert space. They have generated a matrix form of the ODE and analyzed its phase-portrait, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, limits of the solution, and condition number. They have not applied the functional analysis of the general solution yet and are unsure how to do so. They ask if a functional can be represented in a Hilbert space, and if this means a function (such as a wavefunction) can also be represented in a Hilbert space. The response is that while a functional is a type of function, in the case of a wavefunction, it is likely that it can be represented in a Hilbert space,
SeM
Hi, I am working on a home-task to analyse the properties of a ODE and its solution in a Hilbert space, and in this context I have:

1. Generated a matrix form of the ODE, and analysed its phase-portrait, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, the limits of the solution and the condition number of the matrix.
2. I have however not applied the Functional analysis of the general solution, as I am not sure how to get by this.

It appears from Kreyszig "Intro to Functional Analysis" that a FUNCTIONAL can be represented in a Hilbert space. Does this mean that a FUNCTION (i.e a wavefunction) can also equally be represented in a Hilbert space?

I have calculated the inner product of the ODE matrix, and defined its neither positive or negative definite value. However, which steps should I take in order to Represent the Function and general solution of the ODE in a Hilbert space?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
SeM said:
It appears from Kreyszig "Intro to Functional Analysis" that a FUNCTIONAL can be represented in a Hilbert space. Does this mean that a FUNCTION (i.e a wavefunction) can also equally be represented in a Hilbert space?
If you are asking if a statement that we can do such-and-such with an arbitrary "Functional" implies that we can also do such-and-such with an arbitrary "Function" the answer is: No. A "functional" is a particular type of function. So a functional has properties that an arbitrary function need not have.

However, in the particular case you are asking about (i.e. a wave function) the answer is probably yes. For example, a function represented in a Fourier series can be considered to be a vector in a Hilbert Space by regarding each of the sine and cosine functions as a basis vector in the Hilbert Space.

What does Kreyszig mean by "represented"? The coefficients of the sine and cosine functions can be regarded as "representing" the function as a vector in the Hilbert Space.

Likes SeM
Stephen Tashi said:
If you are asking if a statement that we can do such-and-such with an arbitrary "Functional" implies that we can also do such-and-such with an arbitrary "Function" the answer is: No. A "functional" is a particular type of function. So a functional has properties that an arbitrary function need not have.

However, in the particular case you are asking about (i.e. a wave function) the answer is probably yes. For example, a function represented in a Fourier series can be considered to be a vector in a Hilbert Space by regarding each of the sine and cosine functions as a basis vector in the Hilbert Space.

What does Kreyszig mean by "represented"? The coefficients of the sine and cosine functions can be regarded as "representing" the function as a vector in the Hilbert Space.
Thanks for this Stephen, I think that solves it. I will look into the Fourier transform, and then further on how that can be applied in a Hilbert space.

1. What is the norm of a functional?

The norm of a functional is a mathematical measure that quantifies the size or magnitude of a functional. It is analogous to the magnitude of a vector in linear algebra.

2. How is the norm of a functional calculated?

The norm of a functional is typically calculated using an integral or sum, depending on the type of functional. For example, in the case of a continuous functional, the norm is calculated using an integral, while for a discrete functional, the norm is calculated using a sum.

3. What is the significance of the norm of a functional in wavefunction analysis?

The norm of a functional is an important quantity in wavefunction analysis as it provides information about the size and behavior of the wavefunction. It can also be used to determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific region of space.

4. How does the norm of a functional relate to the normalization condition for wavefunctions?

The normalization condition for wavefunctions requires that the norm of the wavefunction be equal to 1. This is because the norm represents the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states, and this probability must sum to 1. Therefore, the norm of a functional is a crucial component in ensuring that the wavefunction is properly normalized.

5. Can the norm of a functional be negative?

No, the norm of a functional is always a positive quantity. This is because it represents a measure of magnitude and cannot have a negative value. In cases where the norm appears to be negative, it is most likely due to a mathematical error or misunderstanding of the concept.