Normal and tangential components of acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car starting at rest at point A and moving with a tangential acceleration of 0.6 m/s^2. There is confusion about the normal and tangential components of speed and acceleration at point B, and assumptions are made about the linear (tangential) acceleration of the car. The problem is not clear and the conversation includes different attempts at solving it, with one suggestion being to assume constant tangential acceleration of 0.6 m/s^2 and neglecting the normal component.
zachdr1

Homework Statement

A car starts at rest at point A, with a tangential component of acceleration a_t = 0.6m/s^2. Students approximate the acceleration of the car to be 0.6 m/s^2. What are the normal and tangential components of it's speed and acceleration at point B?

263v49h.jpg

NOTE : the ends are supposed to be circular with radius 50, assume you're going CCW

Homework Equations

ads = vdv

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this one in class for an hour and couldn't figure it out. I found the speed right when it gets to the circular motion to be 15.something, but I didn't think I had enough information to find anything else out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using units, what did you get for its speed at point B? Please show us how you got this value.

Chestermiller said:
Using units, what did you get for its speed at point B? Please show us how you got this value.
I didn't get the speed at point B. I didn't know how to get there. I got the speed at s=200 which was v=sqrt (2*a*s) = 15.49m/s

zachdr1 said:
I didn't get the speed at point B. I didn't know how to get there. I got the speed at s=200 which was v=sqrt (2*a*s) = 15.49m/s
What assumption can you make about the linear (tangential) acceleration of the car? Do you think it will change when the car goes into the curve? Or, is the car's speed increasing steadily?

Show us your calculation of the distance between points A and B.

zachdr1 said:
the tangential acceleration has to decrease because there needs to be a normal component

but if you use 15.49^2/50 to find normal accel, that gives you 4.79 m/s^2 which is bigger than the total acceleration

Chestermiller said:
Show us your calculation of the distance between points A and B.
s_ab = 200+pi*50/4 = 239.27 m

zachdr1 said:
s_ab = 200+pi*50/4 = 239.27 m
That's not correct for either a clockwise or a counterclockwise path.

I think they meant for you to assume that the tangential component of acceleration is constant along the entire path.

Chestermiller said:
That's not correct for either a clockwise or a counterclockwise path.
Sorry, I meant s_ab = 200 + 2pi(50)/4 =278.5m.

Chestermiller said:
I think they meant for you to assume that the tangential component of acceleration is constant along the entire path.
But then there'd be no normal component of acceleration

zachdr1 said:
But then there'd be no normal component of acceleration
Who says?

Chestermiller said:
Who says?
Because if the overall acceleration is 0.6, and the tangential acceleration is 0.6, then there has to be no normal component, which isn't possible

I would have understood if the problem didn't say that the overall acceleration was 0.6m/s^2, and if it said that the tangential acceleration was constant 0.6m/s^2 around the whole path. Then the speed would be 16.9 m/s at B.

zachdr1 said:
Because if the overall acceleration is 0.6, and the tangential acceleration is 0.6, then there has to be no normal component, which isn't possible

I would have understood if the problem didn't say that the overall acceleration was 0.6m/s^2, and if it said that the tangential acceleration was constant 0.6m/s^2 around the whole path. Then the speed would be 16.9 m/s at B.
See my post #9.

Chestermiller said:
See my post #9.
They didn't state that though? And I asked my professor and he said that the acceleration is 0.6 for the entire motion.

Why even give the acceleration at A, after giving the tangential acceleration at A

Sorry for diving in but..

zachdr1 said:
I would have understood if the problem didn't say that the overall acceleration was 0.6m/s^2

It didn't actually say that.

zachdr1 said:
And I asked my professor and he said that the acceleration is 0.6 for the entire motion.

and that's not 100% clear. He might have meant the car keeps accelerating at 0.6 regardless of the bend.

Cars can usually accelerate around corners. At least they can as long as there is enough friction/traction. I'm with Chester.

CWatters said:
Cars can usually accelerate around corners. At least they can as long as there is enough friction/traction. I'm with Chester.
Ditto.

CWatters said:
Sorry for diving in but..
It didn't actually say that.
and that's not 100% clear. He might have meant the car keeps accelerating at 0.6 regardless of the bend.

Damn you're right. I think the problem really just wasn't clear. This was a quiz problem, and what I assumed was that the car decreased in acceleration, and by the time it got to point B, it was at a constant speed of 5.6m/s or something like that. That was the only thing I could come up with under the assumption that he meant that the overall acceleration never exceeded 0.6m/s^2.

Oh well.

zachdr1 said:
They didn't state that though? And I asked my professor and he said that the acceleration is 0.6 for the entire motion.

Why even give the acceleration at A, after giving the tangential acceleration at A
The problem is much more complicated if you have to have the total acceleration at 0.6. But, it might turn out that the normal component of acceleration is very small compared to the tangential acceleration, and it might be possible to neglect it. To check this out, try a calculation in which you assume that the tangential acceleration is constant at 0.6 (rather than the overall acceleration). On this basis, calculate the velocity coming into the turn, and the velocity at point B. Then evaluate the radial component of acceleration at these locations, and see how they compare to the 0.6.

Chestermiller said:
The problem is much more complicated if you have to have the total acceleration at 0.6. But, it might turn out that the normal component of acceleration is very small compared to the tangential acceleration, and it might be possible to neglect it. To check this out, try a calculation in which you assume that the tangential acceleration is constant at 0.6 (rather than the overall acceleration). On this basis, calculate the velocity coming into the turn, and the velocity at point B. Then evaluate the radial component of acceleration at these locations, and see how they compare to the 0.6.
I don't even think it's possible assuming that the total acceleration is 0.6. You end up not knowing either the tangential acceleration, velocity, or the time.

Chestermiller said:
Thank you for your help though. Hopefully I don't get too many points taken off that quiz.

zachdr1 said:
I don't even think it's possible assuming that the total acceleration is 0.6. You end up not knowing either the tangential acceleration, velocity, or the time.
At the beginning of the turn, the velocity is already $$v=\sqrt{(2)(200.)(0.6)}=15.5\ m/s$$ and the radial acceleration is already 4.8 m/s^2. So they must have wanted you to assume that the tangential acceleration is constant at 0.6. In that case, at point B, the tangential velocity would be $$v_B=\sqrt{(2)(278.5)(0.6)}=18.3\ m/s$$, and the radial acceleration would be 6.7 m/s^2.

Likes CWatters

1. What are normal and tangential components of acceleration?

The normal and tangential components of acceleration are mathematical concepts used to describe the motion of an object in a curved path. Normal acceleration is the component of acceleration directed towards the center of curvature of the path, while tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration directed along the tangent to the path.

2. How are normal and tangential components of acceleration related to each other?

The normal and tangential components of acceleration are perpendicular to each other and together, they make up the total acceleration of an object in a curved path. This relationship is described by the Pythagorean theorem, where the total acceleration is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the normal and tangential accelerations.

3. What is the difference between normal and tangential acceleration?

Normal acceleration is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the velocity vector of an object, while tangential acceleration is responsible for changing the magnitude of the velocity vector. In other words, normal acceleration affects the direction of motion, while tangential acceleration affects the speed of motion.

4. How are normal and tangential components of acceleration calculated?

Normal acceleration can be calculated using the formula aN = v2 / r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of curvature of the path. Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula aT = d|v| / dt, where |v| is the magnitude of the velocity vector and dt is the change in time.

5. Why are normal and tangential components of acceleration important?

Normal and tangential components of acceleration are important because they help us understand the complex motion of objects in curved paths. By breaking down the acceleration into these two components, we can better analyze and predict the behavior of objects in circular or curved motion. This is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, such as astronomy, physics, and mechanics.