Normal and tangential forces on a cylinder

In summary, the question posed is about calculating the reactions on a cylinder placed between two walls, one of which is smooth and the other has a friction coefficient of 0.4. The first part of the question involves finding the reactions without taking friction into account, while the second part questions whether a frictional force would exist in the system.
Karol

Homework Statement

The walls are smooth, calculate the reactions. the cylinder weighs 100[N].
Now the 600 wall is rough with a friction coefficient 0.4. what are the reactions

Homework Equations

Friction: F=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the first step and it was good: N1=287.9, N2=253.2
But with friction there is another force, tangential, but the results in the book are the same.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
You got the first one correct? Because I'm getting different answers.

As for the second part, what I think, is that the cylinder is stationary, in equilibrium. There is no resultant force on it. So which direction will you consider the friction to act in?

siddharth23 said:
You got the first one correct? Because I'm getting different answers.
I agree with Karol's answers.
Karol said:
But with friction there is another force, tangential, but the results in the book are the same.
If the cylinder is in equilibrium when there is no friction, and then the only change that is made is that a coefficient of friction is added, then why would a force of friction act?

Edit:
Karol said:
Friction: F=μN
For the case of static friction, that is only the maximum, not the applied force.

Last edited:
Ok I'll check the first part again.

Nathanael said:
If the cylinder is in equilibrium when there is no friction, and then the only change that is made is that a coefficient of friction is added, then why would a force of friction act?
I may agree if μ is added later. but the forces can arrange themselves differently (only magnitudes) to accommodate the changes.
Maybe because there is no relative movement without the friction force anyway it isn't created.

Last edited:
See the image I've uploaded. The surface is rough and has a coeffecient of friction 'μ'. A force 'F' pushes the block towards the right side but its motion is hindered by the wall. Now even though a force of friction would act on the block, in this case it won't as the system is in equilibrium. There is no scope for the block to move.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 453
Karol said:
Maybe because there is no relative movement without the friction force anyway it isn't created.
More accurately, it would be because there is no tendency to move.
However, the question is not really correct. While there need not be a frictional force, there could be one. You could find a solution to the equations in which the walls exert a greater normal force and, to balance that, a small frictional force. In the real world, this corresponds to the cylinder being jammed in.

Likes Nathanael

Related to Normal and tangential forces on a cylinder

1. What is the difference between normal and tangential forces on a cylinder?

Normal forces act perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder, while tangential forces act parallel to the surface.

2. How do normal and tangential forces affect the motion of a cylinder?

Normal forces can cause the cylinder to rotate, while tangential forces can cause translational motion in the direction of the force.

3. How is the magnitude of normal and tangential forces calculated on a cylinder?

The magnitude of normal force is equal to the weight of the cylinder, while the magnitude of tangential force is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force.

4. Can normal and tangential forces be applied simultaneously on a cylinder?

Yes, both forces can act on a cylinder at the same time and their effects will be combined.

5. How do changes in the angle of the applied force affect normal and tangential forces on a cylinder?

If the angle of the applied force is changed, the normal and tangential forces will also change accordingly, resulting in a different motion of the cylinder.