Normal force on a rod by the rim of a bowl

In summary: D for your responses.In summary, the direction of the normal force acting on the rod by the rim of the bowl is directed horizontally to the left. This is because the normal force is perpendicular to the tangent to the circle, which in this case is vertical. However, if the rod was touching the bowl externally, the normal force would be perpendicular to the tangent at the point of contact.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Torque
messageImage_1608260580081.jpg

I want to ask the direction of normal force acting on the rod by the rim of the bowl. Is the direction perpendicular to the rod or will it be directed horizontally to the left?

My guess would be horizontally to the left because the normal force would be perpendicular to the "plane / surface" which is the tangent to circle (in this case, the tangent to the rim of bowl and the tangent will be vertical). Is this correct?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Torque

View attachment 274582

I want to ask the direction of normal force acting on the rod by the rim of the bowl. Is the direction perpendicular to the rod or will it be directed horizontally to the left?

My guess would be horizontally to the left because the normal force would be perpendicular to the "plane / surface" which is the tangent to circle (in this case, the tangent to the rim of bowl and the tangent will be vertical). Is this correct?

Thanks
See section 1 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/

Likes Delta2 and songoku
songoku said:
If my understanding is correct, the direction should be perpendicular to the rod? Thanks
Yes I think so too

If the rod was touching the bowl externally then the normal force would be perpendicular to the tangent at the point of contact.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
If my understanding is correct, the direction should be perpendicular to the rod? Thanks
Yes.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much haruspex and Delta2

Likes berkeman and Delta2

What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that is exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from sinking into or passing through the surface.

How is normal force related to the rim of a bowl?

The normal force on a rod by the rim of a bowl is the force that the rim of the bowl exerts on the rod to keep it from falling into the bowl. It is perpendicular to the surface of the bowl and acts in the opposite direction of the force of gravity.

What factors affect the normal force on a rod by the rim of a bowl?

The magnitude of the normal force on a rod by the rim of a bowl depends on the weight of the rod, the angle at which it is placed on the rim, and the strength of the bowl's material. The shape and size of the bowl can also affect the normal force.

Can the normal force on a rod by the rim of a bowl change?

Yes, the normal force on a rod by the rim of a bowl can change. It will increase if the weight of the rod increases or if the angle at which it is placed on the rim becomes more vertical. It will decrease if the weight of the rod decreases or if the angle becomes more horizontal.

How is the normal force on a rod by the rim of a bowl calculated?

The normal force can be calculated using the formula F = mgcosθ, where F is the normal force, m is the mass of the rod, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the rod is placed on the rim.