Normal incidence of EM wave - p & s polarization convention?

In summary, the author seems to be unsure about what polarization is called, and the convention they use is atypical.
IcedCoffee
Hi. I'm reading a paper "Transmission of light through a single rectangular hole in a real metal" and the author refers to the incident light shown below as "p-polarized" without further specification.

upload_2018-8-24_22-14-30.png

Note that ax > ay. Is there any convention in regarding a certain polarization as p-polarized in the case of normal incidence?

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-24_22-14-30.png
    upload_2018-8-24_22-14-30.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 800
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm ... that is strange. I’ve never seen anybody use S and P to mean anything other than the relation of the electric field to the plane of incidence. They shouldn’t be defined at normal incidence.

Also, since they have a well established meaning used a million places I don’t really believe we can excuse using them some other way.

However, playing devil’s advocate, S and P come from the German words for perpendicular and parallel, so I suppose if there is something to be parallel or perpendicular to other than the plane of incidence one might use that labeling. I’d be particularly accepting of that from a German speaker.

On the other hand your diagram has the electric field perpendicular to the long axis of the rectangle and still calls it P polarized, so they get no linguistic benefit of the doubt from me. This just appears to be wrong.

Cutter Ketch said:
Hmmm ... that is strange. I’ve never seen anybody use S and P to mean anything other than the relation of the electric field to the plane of incidence. They shouldn’t be defined at normal incidence.

Also, since they have a well established meaning used a million places I don’t really believe we can excuse using them some other way.

However, playing devil’s advocate, S and P come from the German words for perpendicular and parallel, so I suppose if there is something to be parallel or perpendicular to other than the plane of incidence one might use that labeling. I’d be particularly accepting of that from a German speaker.

On the other hand your diagram has the electric field perpendicular to the long axis of the rectangle and still calls it P polarized, so they get no linguistic benefit of the doubt from me. This just appears to be wrong.

I guess they just picked the notation rather randomly and then expected readers to figure it out from the... figure.

Also, I think what you said would make more sense, that the direction perpendicular to the slit, or whatever structure that has some sort of axis, should be called s-polarized. Thank you!

1. What is the difference between p and s polarization in an EM wave?

The polarization of an EM wave refers to the direction in which the electric field oscillates. In p polarization, the electric field is perpendicular to the plane of incidence, while in s polarization, it is parallel to the plane of incidence. This means that p-polarized light will have its electric field oscillating up and down, while s-polarized light will have its electric field oscillating back and forth.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the polarization of an EM wave?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which the EM wave hits the surface. For normal incidence, where the wave is perpendicular to the surface, both p and s polarizations will be present. However, as the angle of incidence increases, p polarization becomes stronger, and at a certain angle (known as the Brewster angle), s polarization disappears completely.

3. What is the convention for determining the polarization of an EM wave?

The convention for determining the polarization of an EM wave is based on the direction in which the electric field oscillates. If the electric field oscillates in the direction of the y-axis, the wave is said to be p-polarized. If it oscillates in the direction of the x-axis, the wave is said to be s-polarized. This convention is commonly used in optics and electromagnetics.

4. How does the polarization of an EM wave affect its interaction with matter?

The polarization of an EM wave can affect its interaction with matter in various ways. For example, p-polarized light is more likely to be reflected off of a smooth surface, while s-polarized light is more likely to be transmitted through it. Additionally, certain materials may have different absorption properties for p and s polarizations, leading to differences in how the wave is attenuated.

5. Can an EM wave have both p and s polarization simultaneously?

Yes, an EM wave can have both p and s polarization simultaneously, as long as it is at normal incidence (perpendicular to the surface). At other angles of incidence, the two polarizations will have different strengths, and at the Brewster angle, only p polarization will be present.