Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal mode and eigenfrequency

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    What is the difference between eigenfriquency and normal mode? If, for example, I solve the secular equation (from the equations of motion) for a mechanical system (say two masses on springs) to obtain the eigenvalues I thought I got the normal modes, but now Im told I get the eigenfrequencies..`?

Thanks for any help to enlighten me on this matter.

/K

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2
    The normal modes are the eigenvectors, the eigenvalues are what are also known as eigenfrequencies. Example Af=wf, where A is your operator (could be differential like d/dx etc), f is a function, w is the eigenvalue/eigenfrequency. If you solve this to find the functional form of f, then you have obtained the normal modes or eigenvectors as theyre also known. For each function f you find, you will also get a value of w.....f1:w1, f2:w2 etc, these values of w are the eigenfrequencies.

So for the equations for two masses on a spring, the functions that describe the motion of the masses, and their amplitudes of vibration are your normal modes . To each of these normal modes will correspond a frequency of vibration, the eigenfrequency.

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    nice explanation

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4
    hey

It nice explanation :-)

I hve question.. what about the Transverse frequency, which systems ossillate if some electromagnetic radiations (e.g light) shines on the material.

Best regards
    Abid

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?