1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal modes of a string thought experiment

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    Hey! So If I have a stretched string of length L fastened at one end, and I am moving the other end sinusoidally, will a standing wave appear ONLY if I move the other end with one of the normal-mode frequencies of the string? If not, will the resulting wave be a moving wave which is a superposition of the string's normal modes?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do it and see :)

Shaking the string from one end is a bit different from plucking it.
    You get a node a little distance x from your fingers - and you will have excited a normal mode of a string length L-x which is fixed at both ends. Otherwise you have to move your hand with the frequency of the normal modes of your string (work them out for a string length L with one end free).

When you drive a string like that - the system is a "driven harmonic oscillator" and the solutions can get quite complicated. You can represent the result as a superposition of normal modes - just as the normal modes can be represented as a superposition of travelling waves.

Real strings can get more complicated still.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook