1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal vector of curved surface

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2-3.JPG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can understand it intuitively, but can't prove mathematically...Can you help me??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PF rules forbid us from offering help until you have demonstrated an effort and shown your work.

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3
    I'm so sorry. It was my first time to write in this forum. I know that cross product makes perpendicular vectors. But in this problem, I don't understand how we explain three dimension by using two parameter, u and v. I searched in internet and thought it is related to gradient. Is it right?

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4
    If you use 3 parameters to parametrize a region of space in ℝ3, what you get is a region covering some volume.
    However, if you only use 2 parameters to parametrize a region of space in ℝ3, you get a "2D" curved surface located in that 3D space.

6. Mar 15, 2015 #5
    Ahh, I got what 2 parameters mean. Thanks. then could you help me more to solve that problem??

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know that the partial derivatives are tangent vectors, right? And you know that the cross product is orthogonal to the two vectors, I hope. And dot products are related to cosines of the included angle and cross products are related to sine? Put all of those ingredients together.

8. Mar 15, 2015 #7
    I can explain that in word and can image in mind, but i can't in numerical expression... That's my problem...

9. Mar 15, 2015 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the denominator in terms of the included angle ##\theta##. Use ##1-\cos^2(\theta)=\sin^2(\theta)##. Now does that help?

10. Mar 15, 2015 #9
    I was so silly. It helps me a lot. Thanks for your help!!

11. Mar 15, 2015 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A nudge is a good as a wink. And you are welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted