Normal vector on complex function

In summary, the author is trying to compute the aerodynamic force on a traveling wave and has some trouble understanding the normal vector.
MarkoA
Hi,

I'm not sure about the the normal vector N on a complex function
[tex] z(x,t) = A e^{i(\omega t + \alpha x)} [/tex]

My approach is that ([itex]\overline{z}[/itex] beeing the conjugate of [itex]z[/itex]):
[tex]
\Re{(\mathbf{N})} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}(\partial x + \overline{\partial x} )^2 + \frac{1}{4}(\partial z + \overline{\partial z} )^2 }} \begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{1}{2}(\partial z + \overline{\partial z}) \\
\frac{1}{2}(\partial x + \overline{\partial x})
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

and
[tex]
\Im{(\mathbf{N})} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{-\frac{1}{4}(\partial x - \overline{\partial x} )^2 -\frac{1}{4}(\partial z - \overline{\partial z} )^2 }} \begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{1}{2i}(\partial z - \overline{\partial z}) \\
\frac{1}{2i}(\partial x - \overline{\partial x})
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

So I have [itex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = i\omega A e^{i(\omega t + \alpha x)} [/itex]. Do I now choose [itex]\partial x = 1 + i[/itex] for the complex x-component? Can I see the imaginary part of the normal vector as the normal vector on the imaginary part of z? Or is my approach wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach seems interesting, personally with the identification of ##\mathbb{R}^{2}## with ##\mathbb{C}## the function is ##z(x,t)=A(\cos{(\omega t+\alpha x)},\sin{(\omega t+\alpha x)})##, from ##\mathbb{R}^{2}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{2}## and the procedure is real ... but I didn't try ... , I don't know your procedure I must examine in details but if its works its ok...

Likes MarkoA
Hello,

Good question ? I didn't know such a thing existed and can't find it (at least not here).
Could you tell us what you think constitutes a normal vector to a complex function ?

Actually the real part of N looks good (plotting it in Matlab). However, I'm not sure about my imaginary part. It's more like a trial and error approach...

To the background: I want to compute the the aerodynamic work on a traveling wave. I have a complex pressure [itex]p[/itex] and surface displacement [itex]z[/itex]. Therefore, I first need the aerodynamic force [itex]\textbf{f} = \oint_A p \mathbf{n} dA[/itex]. My problem is now that I need a correct normal vector [itex]\mathbf{n}[/itex].

Edit: Sorry, N and n are the same...

Last edited:

1. What is a normal vector on a complex function?

A normal vector on a complex function is a vector that is perpendicular to the tangent vector at a given point on the function. It is used to represent the direction of steepest ascent or descent at that point.

2. How is a normal vector calculated for a complex function?

A normal vector for a complex function can be calculated using the gradient vector. The gradient vector is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then combining them into a vector. The normal vector is then found by taking the perpendicular vector to the gradient vector.

3. Why is the normal vector important in complex analysis?

The normal vector is important in complex analysis because it helps determine the direction of steepest ascent or descent at a given point on a function. This information is useful in optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of the function at that point.

4. Can a complex function have multiple normal vectors at a single point?

Yes, it is possible for a complex function to have multiple normal vectors at a single point. This can occur when the function has multiple local extrema or when the function has a saddle point at that point.

5. How is the normal vector related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The normal vector is related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations because the Cauchy-Riemann equations are used to determine the gradient vector and thus, the normal vector. The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of conditions that a complex function must satisfy in order to be differentiable at a point.