Normal vectors on tangent spaces.

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a point on the tangent space of a function at a given point, and figuring out the normal vector to the hyperplane at that point. However, the student is stuck on how to calculate the normal vector and is asking for help.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Given a surface parameterized by the function [itex] f(x) [/itex] and a point p on that surface, assume that [itex] P [/itex] is a point on the tangent space of f at p. Find the normal vector to the hyperplane at [itex] P [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The tangent hyperplane to f at p is given by the equation
[tex] \nabla f(p) \cdot ( x- p) = 0 [/tex]
Since we know that [itex] P [/itex] is on the tangent space, we must have that [itex] \nabla f(p) \cdot ( P - p ) = 0 [/itex]. However, here is where I am stuck. I'm not sure how to use this to calculate the normal vector. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. The normal vector to a plane is the vector n such that n.(a-b)=0 for all a and b in the plane, right?

If I'm not mistaken, in the case of n.(a-b) = 0 the normal is very specifically the point passing through b. The set of all a for which this is satisfied help to define the plane.

In this case, the planes should be the same, so it seems that I should be able to do something like equation the equations

[tex] \nabla f(p)\cdot(x-p) = n\cdot (x-P) [/itex]

In this case, solving for n will give the desired result. I'm playing around with this right now, but haven't gotten anywhere.

So if n.(p-a)=0 and n.(p-b)=0 isn't n.(a-b)=0? Just subtract the first two equations. But let me rephrase the hint. Isn't grad(f)(p) a normal vector?

Yes, [itex] \nabla f(p) [/itex] is normal, and I see what you're saying as far determining it being invariant under choice of internal coordinates.

This yields some important insight into my problem and answers my posed question, so thank you. Now perhaps you can help me with my real question.

Suppose that [itex]f:\mathbb R^n \to \mathbb R^{m\times m} [/itex] is a multivariate, matrix-valued function so that [itex] \nabla f(p) [/itex] is a rank-3 tensor defining the tangent manifold to the orientable surface defined by by [itex] f(x) = 0 [/itex]. Namely, [itex] \nabla f(p) [/itex] generates [itex] T_p M [/itex] where [itex] M = \{ x \in \mathbb R^n : f(x) = 0 \} [/itex].

Now through some magic I get a point P (solving a linear programming problem under the constraint that P lies on the tangent manifold) and I want to project P back onto M. Numerically, this is best done by considering vectors orthogonal to [itex] T_p M[/itex] at P. This being said, what is the ``best direction'' to consider? Analogously, I would take the normal vector to P. Should I just use orthogonal vectors at p to define a search direction? Or is there a frame in which the unique ``vector'' passing through P defines the best search direction?

1. What is a normal vector on a tangent space?

A normal vector on a tangent space is a vector that is perpendicular to the tangent space at a specific point on a surface or curve. It represents the direction in which the surface or curve is changing the most at that point.

2. How is a normal vector calculated on a tangent space?

A normal vector on a tangent space can be calculated using the cross product of two tangent vectors at a specific point on a surface or curve. These tangent vectors are typically found by taking partial derivatives of the surface or curve equation with respect to the parameters of the tangent space.

3. Why are normal vectors important in mathematics and physics?

Normal vectors are important in mathematics and physics because they provide information about the local geometry and behavior of surfaces and curves. They are used in various applications including optimization, differential geometry, and mechanics.

4. Can a normal vector be defined at every point on a surface or curve?

No, a normal vector cannot be defined at every point on a surface or curve. It is only defined at points where the surface or curve is differentiable, meaning that it has a well-defined tangent space.

5. How are normal vectors used in computer graphics and 3D modeling?

In computer graphics and 3D modeling, normal vectors are used to determine the shading and lighting of objects in a scene. They help create a realistic appearance by simulating how light reflects off of surfaces at different angles.