Normals from a point to a parabola

Oh, wait! How about this: STATEMENT-1 says, "Through (h,h+1), there cannot be MORE THAN ONE normal." This is true, because there cannot be more than one tangent, and every normal intersects the curve only at the point of tangency. But STATEMENT-2 says, "The point (h,h+1) lies OUTSIDE the parabola for all $h\neq 1$." If a point lies outside a curve, then there cannot be any tangent to the curve at that point. And if there's not more than one tangent, there's not more than one normal. So B is correct.
Saitama
Problem:

STATEMENT-1: Through (h,h+1), there cannot be more than one normal to the parabola $y^2=4x$, if $h<2$.

STATEMENT-2: The point (h,h+1) lies outside the parabola for all $h\neq 1$.

A)Statement-1 is True, Statement-2 is True; Statement 2 is a correct explanation for Statement-1.

B)Statement-1 is True, Statement-2 is True; Statement 2 is NOT a correct explanation for Statement-1.

C)Statement-1 is True, Statement-2 is False.

D)Statement-1 is False, Statement-2 is True.

Attempt:

I figured out that the locus of the given point is $y=x+1$. I found that this equation is a tangent to given parabola, hence Statement-2 is certainly true.

I am unsure about how to proceed for Statement-1. Here's what I think:

The parametric coordinates of the given parabola is $(t^2,2t)$. The equation of normal in terms of $t$ is $y=-tx+2t+t^3$. As this normal passes through $(h,h+1)$, hence,

$$t^3+t(2-h)-(h+1)=0$$

But I am not sure how to proceed from here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: The title should be "Normals from a point to parabola". :p

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Normals from a point to parabola

Pranav said:
The parametric coordinates of the given parabola are $(t^2,2t)$. The equation of normal in terms of $t$ is $y=-tx+2t+t^3$. As this normal passes through $(h,h+1)$, hence,

$$t^3+t(2-h)-(h+1)=0$$

But I am not sure how to proceed from here.
You want to know whether that cubic equation for $t$ has more than one solution. The cubic polynomial $f(t) = t^3+t(2-h)-(h+1)$ has either one real root or three real roots. If it has three roots then its graph must cross the axis three times. It would have to have a local maximum between the first two roots, and a local minimum between the second and third roots. So you could use calculus to find where (if anywhere) the turning points of $f(t)$ occur.

Hi Opalg!

Opalg said:
You want to know whether that cubic equation for $t$ has more than one solution. The cubic polynomial $f(t) = t^3+t(2-h)-(h+1)$ has either one real root or three real roots. If it has three roots then its graph must cross the axis three times. It would have to have a local maximum between the first two roots, and a local minimum between the second and third roots. So you could use calculus to find where (if anywhere) the turning points of $f(t)$ occur.

The question says that there should be only one normal i.e one real root. For the cubic to have only one real root, $f'(t)>0$ (f(t) must be strictly increasing) $\Rightarrow t^2>h/3$. I don't see what to do with the inequality I have got. :(

Pranav said:
For the cubic to have only one real root, $f'(t)>0$ (f(t) must be strictly increasing) $\Rightarrow t^2>h/3$. I don't see what to do with the inequality I have got. :(
That's not what I get from differentiating $f(t).$ In fact, $f'(t) = 3t^2 - (h-2).$

Opalg said:
That's not what I get from differentiating $f(t).$ In fact, $f'(t) = 3t^2 - (h-2).$

Sorry. :eek:

But the question still remains, how am I supposed to solve $t^2>(h-2)/3$? I am thinking that if h<2, the inequality always holds true but for any other h, we can always find a t which does not satisfy the inequality and hence, h<2 is the answer. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Pranav said:
But the question still remains, how am I supposed to solve $t^2>(h-2)/3$? I am thinking that if h<2, the inequality always holds true but for any other h, we can always find a t which does not satisfy the inequality and hence, h<2 is the answer. Is this correct?
STATEMENT-1 is only concerned with what happens when $h<2$. You don't need to worry about what happens for any other $h.$

Opalg said:
STATEMENT-1 is only concerned with what happens when $h<2$. You don't need to worry about what happens for any other $h.$

Thanks Opalg! :)

I think I will go with B because I don't see how STATEMENT-1 can be deduced from STATEMENT-2.

Pranav said:
I think I will go with B because I don't see how STATEMENT-1 can be deduced from STATEMENT-2.
Nor do I. (Thinking)

1. What is a normal from a point to a parabola?

A normal from a point to a parabola is a line that intersects the parabola at a specific point, called the point of tangency, and is perpendicular to the tangent line at that point.

2. How is the normal line calculated?

The normal line can be calculated by finding the derivative of the parabola at the point of tangency and then finding the negative reciprocal of that derivative. This will give the slope of the normal line, which can then be used to find the equation of the line using the point of tangency.

3. What is the relationship between the normal line and the tangent line?

The normal line and the tangent line are always perpendicular to each other at the point of tangency. This means that the product of their slopes will always be -1.

4. Can a normal line intersect a parabola at more than one point?

No, a normal line can only intersect a parabola at one point. This is because a parabola is a curved line and a normal line is a straight line, so they can only intersect at one point.

5. How are normals from a point to a parabola used in real life applications?

Normals from a point to a parabola have various real life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate the direction of forces acting on an object, to design curved structures, and to create visually appealing curved lines in computer graphics.