Normed Linear Space Part 1

• Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Consider the normed linear space [itex]\ell_\infty \mathbb({R})[/itex]. Let [itex]x= \frac{n-1}{n}[/itex], [itex]y=(1/n) and z=2^n[/itex]

a) Are x,y,z each in [itex]\ell_\infty \mathbb({R})[/itex]

b) What is x+y? What is [itex]2^{1/2} y?[/itex]

c) Calculate [itex]||x||_\infty[/itex], [itex]||y||_\infty[/itex], [itex]||x+y||_\infty[/itex] and [itex]||2^{1/2} y ||_\infty[/itex]

For a) Does that mean are x,y,z subspaces of [itex]\ell_\infty \mathbb({R})[/itex]?

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

Consider the normed linear space [itex]\ell_\infty \mathbb({R})[/itex]. Let [itex]x= \frac{n-1}{n}[/itex], [itex]y=(1/n) and z=2^n[/itex]

a) Are x,y,z each in [itex]\ell_\infty \mathbb({R})[/itex]

c) Calculate [itex]||x||_\infty[/itex], [itex]||y||_\infty[/itex], [itex]||x+y||_\infty[/itex] and [itex]||2^{1/2} y ||_\infty[/itex]

For a) Does that mean are x,y,z subspaces of [itex]\ell_\infty \mathbb({R})[/itex]?
No, x, y, and z are sequences. The question is asking whether they belong to [itex]\ell_\infty \mathbb({R})[/itex].

x and y are each an element in l_∞ as they are bounded above

z is NOT an element as its not bounded above

In b) what does it mean by 'what is'. Is that asking to evaluate?

You could answer b by evaluating x + y, and then saying whether it is in l(R).

1. Homework Statement

x+y =n implies (n) =(1,2,3,4...) which is not in l∞(R) sicne it is not bounded above.

2^(1/2)*y= 2^(n+1/2) which is not in l∞(R) either.......?

x+y =n implies (n) =(1,2,3,4...) which is not in l∞(R) sicne it is not bounded above.
Yes, but here's how to say the first part better. x + y = {n} = {1, 2, 3, ...}
2^(1/2)*y= 2^(n+1/2) which is not in l∞(R) either.......?
No, 21/2y = 21/2{1/n}. That means 21/2 times each element of the sequence {1/n}.

No, 21/2y = 21/2{1/n}. That means 21/2 times each element of the sequence {1/n}.
Thanks..that was a mistake on my part. So hence it IS in l∞(R)

For c) do I attempt to evaluate each?

Yes and yes.
Your textbook should have a definition of the infinity norm - if not, there's one in the link I posted in the other thread.

I like Serena
Homework Helper
Hmm, I get a different result for x+y... :confused:

Homework Statement

For x:

1-1/n =(0,1/2,2/3,3/4...) and is bounded.

[itex]||1-1/n||_∞[/itex]=.........? I am not sure how to calculate this. If some one can illustrate this one, I can try the others...? I know [itex]||1-1/n||_∞=sup |x_n|[/itex] but dont know how to calculate |x_n|

Thanks

What is the supremum of the set {0, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, ..., n/(n + 1), ...}?

What is the supremum of the set {0, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, ..., n/(n + 1), ...}?
I think the supremum is the smallest real number that is greater than or equal to every number in the set, hence t must be 0...?

What do i do next?

Is it something along the lines of

[itex]|1-1/n|=\sqrt{(1-1/n)^2}=0[/itex] where n=1

Last edited:
I think the supremum is the smallest real number that is greater than or equal to every number in the set,
Yes.
hence t must be 0...?
No. 0 is smaller than, not larger than every number in the sequence except the first.
What do i do next?

Is it something along the lines of

[itex]|1-1/n|=\sqrt{(1-1/n)^2}=0[/itex] where n=1

Yes.No. 0 is smaller than, not larger than every number in the sequence except the first.
Then it doesnt exist, there is no sup...?

I think the supremum is the smallest real number that is greater than or equal to every number in the set
Yes! So what is the smallest number that is >= each number in the sequence {0, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, ..., n/(n+1), ...}
, hence t must be 0...?
No, it can't be 0. This number is too small, because it's not larger than 1/2 (for example). 2589 is larger than all the numbers in the sequence, but can you find one that is not so large?

Yes! So what is the smallest number that is >= each number in the sequence {0, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, ..., n/(n+1), ...}
No, it can't be 0. This number is too small, because it's not larger than 1/2 (for example). 2589 is larger than all the numbers in the sequence, but can you find one that is not so large?
1 would be greater than or equal to every number in the set....?

Deveno
Science Advisor
a reasonable guess, can you prove it?

Yes. Why are you uncertain?

a reasonable guess, can you prove it?
Although not required in the problem, Deveno's question is reasonable, given the uncertainty in the answer above.

Yes. Why are you uncertain?

Although not required in the problem, Deveno's question is reasonable, given the uncertainty in the answer above.
All I know is that |1- 1/n| < 1 but I dont know to prove its 1.

Deveno
Science Advisor
|1 - 1/n| is never 1.

but...perhaps there might be a least upper bound. what are our likely candidates for this office?

I like Serena
Homework Helper
What is:
[tex]\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} (1 - {1 \over n})[/tex]

What is:
[tex]\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} (1 - {1 \over n})[/tex]
IF n tends to infinity then the modulus tends to 1 but never 1...so does that mean that
||1- 1/n||_∞=sup |1-1/n|=1?