How Long Can 32oz of 78°F Water Last in 0°F Freezer? | Wichita KS

• Thread starter moe7404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
The amount of time it takes for 32 oz of water at 78 deg F to freeze in a freezer that is 0 deg F depends on the cooling rate of the freezer. To calculate the time, you will need to divide the heat energy required to be removed from the water to freeze it by the cooling rate.
moe7404
moe in wichita ks
if i have 32 oz of water (in a reg plastic soft drink cup) that is 78 deg f and i put it in a freezer that is 0 deg f how long can i leave it in before it freezes? i really am going to test this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
moe7404 said:
moe in wichita ks
if i have 32 oz of water (in a reg plastic soft drink cup) that is 78 deg f and i put it in a freezer that is 0 deg f how long can i leave it in before it freezes? i really am going to test this out.

Depends on the cooling rate of your freezer. The heat energy required to be removed from the water to freeze it would be:

[tex] -Q_{out} = mC \Delta{T} [/tex]

Divide that by your cooling rate and you’ll have the time.

CS

I cannot provide a definitive answer without knowing the exact conditions and variables involved in this scenario. The rate at which water freezes depends on factors such as the container's material, the shape and size of the container, the temperature of the freezer, and the movement of air around the container. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of water and the amount of water present will also play a role. Therefore, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact amount of time it would take for the water to freeze in this scenario. It would be best to conduct an experiment and record the results to determine a more precise answer.

1. How does temperature affect the freezing time of water?

Temperature is a major factor in determining the freezing time of water. The lower the temperature, the faster water will freeze. When placed in a 0°F freezer, water will freeze much faster than if it were placed in a refrigerator set at 40°F.

2. How long does it take for water to freeze in a 0°F freezer?

This can vary depending on the volume of water and the size of the freezer, but on average, it takes around 2 hours for 32oz of 78°F water to freeze in a 0°F freezer.

3. Will the water eventually freeze if left in a 0°F freezer for a longer period of time?

Yes, the water will eventually freeze if left in a 0°F freezer for a longer period of time. The amount of time it takes will depend on the initial temperature of the water and the temperature of the freezer.

4. Can water stay liquid in a 0°F freezer?

No, water cannot stay liquid in a 0°F freezer. This temperature is below the freezing point of water, so any liquid water placed in a 0°F freezer will eventually freeze.

5. How can I make water freeze faster in a 0°F freezer?

There are a few ways to make water freeze faster in a 0°F freezer. One way is to decrease the volume of water by using smaller containers. Another way is to stir the water periodically, which helps distribute the cold temperature throughout the water. Additionally, placing the water near the walls of the freezer can also speed up the freezing process.