French Actions in African Nation: Is the Standard Too High?

• News
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary: Israelis") feel the French should have not attacked?In summary, the French wiped out the entire air force of an African nation and wounded hundreds of protesters. There are obvious parallels between this and the frequent criticisms of Israel vs the Palestinians, and the US vs Iraqis. Are the French acting as evil as people claim Israel and the US to be, or maybe people are holding the US and Israel to an impossibly high standard?
Smurf said:
A journalist may wish to live in a western nation but there is no reason why a CNN reporter can't go over to China and do a story on it, I can't see why China would put up a half decent fight to stop them they're main opponent is their own people.
You really believe the Chinese are going to let a journalist interview some of the people in their slave labor camps? Or even see the camps? Or that someone critical can to talk to the journalists without being punished?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
I find it surprising that Zimbabwe is not among the "most repressive societies" in this list. Perhaps it's repressive only for the whites ? But even that's not nearly true...

I remember reading a list put together by Freedomhouse and Amnesty which had Mugabe in the top 10, among the worst dictators presently in power.
Zimbabwe is mentioned in the article, although not in the top 15.

Perhapse my post was naive, No I don't expect a CNN reporter to walk in and write a full report on them, but you've already shown in your above links that we can get the information, so the question isn't a matter of a Chineese cover up, its a matter of western media not wanting to present it to the public.

Aquamarine said:
No, that is what I am saying. Why should there be less criticism of regimes with much, much worse human rights violations?

Well, the US is indeed held to higher standards than your average dictatorship, and this for two reasons. First of all, I thought that the US saw itself not as "an average dictatorship" but tried to be better than this, so we keep you to your own standard. You should be proud of that, no ?
But second, the US seems to act as if it were the good messiah, bringing the ultimate good to all the people in the world. Then you should be held to the highest standard possible - I don't think you make it on that one, though. The US is a great nation. But you're not as great as you think you are.

studentx said:
You believe world opinion favors the Israelis?

Until a few years ago, in the Western world ? Yes, definitely. It is only recently (in fact mostly since Sharon is in power) that the media in Europe (I don't know if that's the case in the US) show a more balanced view.

Aquamarine said:
There is certainly a double standard. The US and Israel are democracies and allow relatively free reporting. The countries with the worst violations allow no free journalists and are therefore ignored in the media.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/media/pressrel/040204.htm

Allways naive people repeat this same slogan, how israel is democratic and is a beacon of freedom in the sea of arab terror.
Nothing could be furthest from truth,Israel discriminates against non-jews on a daily basis.Israel discriminates against marrying non-jews,it discriminates against arab-israelis and not to mention government aproved killing and hummiliating Palestinian people.
You can stuff this "Democracy" in your a******! but not mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aquamarine said:
I will answer the US-bashers in this thread instead of separately in many:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=370047#post370047

Aquamarine, I do not believe anyone here is US-Bashing, but if anyone is I assure you he/she does not respresent the majority of us. I don't hate America, I hate it's corporations and it's Media.

gravenewworld said:
The French are some of the most vile people on Earth.

Watching the moderators do their job is almost like watching paint dry. Almost, because in the end, paint does actually dry. :uhh:

Cragwolf, I have French nationality and most of my family still lives in France. I don't agree with Graveneworld, and Smurf had a great response.

Hurkyl said:
(Oh, another parallel -- Côte d'Ivoire was the most economically powerful West African nation... maybe the French were just after the cocoa!)
Actually most of the cocoa trade is done via the Netherlands. But of course the French MUST have something to do with it according to the common logic. Maybe it's FRENCH speaking Dutchmen. (the thought alone gives me nightmares) :wink:

Evo said:
Cragwolf, I have French nationality and most of my family still lives in France. I don't agree with Graveneworld, and Smurf had a great response.
*beams happily*

Evo said:

Fair enough. I apologise to you.