Solving a 4th Degree Polynomial: Finding Missing Variables Using Given Roots

• Thread starter Corkery
  • Start date
In summary, my friend and I were having trouble with an equation, but I don't have the exact one with me so I will write one that is similar and is the same concept. The Attempt at a Solution states that if a,b,c and d are roots of the equation, x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^2 - 2x + 8= (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d), where a and b are known. The two roots given are (x-1) and (x-2). If you substituted these in, you would get x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^
Corkery

Homework Statement

My friend and I were having trouble with an equation, but I don't have the exact one with me so I will write one that is similar and is the same concept:

Equation: x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^2 - ax + b

So basically they want you to find the two missing variables in the 4th degree polynomial. They give you two roots to work without of the possible 4.

The roots they give you are: (x-1) and (x-2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think to use synthetic division and use one of the roots, but I'm not sure. Even if I'm coorect to use synthetic division what do I do once I reach the variables. I'm so lost.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if i am understanding the question correctly then (if a,b,c and d are roots)
x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^2 - 2x + 8= (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) where a and b are known so that you can expand and equate coefficients

the roots they give you are (x-1) and (x-2). Does that make a difference or would I continue to do what you said. Oh actually now that I think about it, I completely messed up on a few things.

ok now its ok to re-read. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Corkery said:
I would think to use synthetic division and use one of the roots, but I'm not sure. Even if I'm coorect to use synthetic division what do I do once I reach the variables. I'm so lost.
Why can't you do the same thing you normally do? It's just arithmetic, isn't it?

can you please explain into further depth in such a way that I will understand? Please.

Corkery said:
can you please explain into further depth in such a way that I will understand? Please.
(1) Do synthetic division up until the point where you get stuck.
(2) Imagine what you would do if you had a number instead of a variable.
(3) Do that to the variable.

yes, but that means you can plug in any two sets of numbers that work and they they ARE equal to those varibles when they really arent.

Corkery said:
yes, but that means you can plug in any two sets of numbers that work and they they ARE equal to those varibles when they really arent.
I can't figure out what you're saying here.

f(x) = x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^2 - ax + b

what is f(1) and f(2) ? you know that x=1 and x=2 are roots...

yeah but when you plug that in how do you know what to plug for the variables to get the correct number for the variable. You could be plugging in two numbers that give you remainder of 0 but don't give you what the actual value of the variable unless you get 0 on the other root also. Is there a less tedious and time consuming way to do this?

Corkery said:
yeah but when you plug that in how do you know what to plug for the variables to get the correct number for the variable. You could be plugging in two numbers that give you remainder of 0 but don't give you what the actual value of the variable unless you get 0 on the other root also. Is there a less tedious and time consuming way to do this?
?You know that the variables are 1 and 2 because you were told that 1 and 2 are roots! (In your original post, you say that (x-1) and (x-2) are roots. What you really mean are that (x-1) and (x-2) are factors of the polynomial so 1 and 2 are the roots.) You are given two of the roots and, as far as I can see, there is no reason to try to find the other two.

Setting f(1)= 0 and f(2)= 0 give you two linear equations to solve for a and b. Surely solving two linear equations is not "tedious and time consuming"!

x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^2 - ax + b,

what halls and others are saying is that since you are only asked to find the variables a and b and not required to find other two roots of the polynomial than you can simply do this
first let x=1 and since 1 is the root of say p(x)=x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^2 - ax + b, than p(1)=0
in particular 1+2-9-a+b=0, b-a=6,
and when u plug in x=2, p(2)=0, so you basically have
16+16-36-2a+b=0, so b-2a=4,
all you need to do now, as halls stated is solve this linear system and you will get what you are looking for, which indeed are the values of a and b.

Well, I was trying to point out that you can still synthetically divide, since that's where the OP claimed to have problems. For example,

x^4 + 2x^3 - 9x^2 - ax + b
= (x+1)(x^3 + x^2 - 10 x + (10 - a)) + (a + b - 10)

(of course, -1 is not known to be a root. I didn't want to do the OP's problem for him!)

Once he performed the synthetic division, he could invoke knowledge about what result he's supposed to get...

1. How do I find the missing variables in a 4th degree polynomial using given roots?

To find the missing variables in a 4th degree polynomial, you can use the given roots to set up a system of equations. By solving this system of equations, you can determine the values of the missing variables.

2. What is the process for solving a 4th degree polynomial?

The process for solving a 4th degree polynomial involves using the given roots to set up a system of equations, and then using algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula to solve for the missing variables.

3. Can a 4th degree polynomial have more than four roots?

Yes, a 4th degree polynomial can have more than four roots. However, if a 4th degree polynomial has more than four roots, it must have some repeated roots.

4. How do I know if I have found all the possible roots for a 4th degree polynomial?

You can use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra to determine the maximum number of possible roots for a 4th degree polynomial. This theorem states that a polynomial of degree n can have at most n distinct roots. So, a 4th degree polynomial can have at most 4 distinct roots.

5. Can a 4th degree polynomial have complex roots?

Yes, a 4th degree polynomial can have complex roots. In fact, if the polynomial has real coefficients, the complex roots will always occur in conjugate pairs.