Not sure what career path fits me best

In summary: I love how it always seems like everything comes together in the end and it's just so cool to see.In summary, a high school student is unsure of what they want to do after high school. They are currently taking a college-level Calculus and Algebra-Based Physics class, and enjoy Calculus more than Applied Physics calculations. Pure Mathematics is enough for someone learning Calculus. Another book by an author who believed strongly in theortical knowledge and physical science is the great book on calculus by courant. Applied Math is really focused on methods used in science/engineering, but the mathematical framework behind those methods can be quite 'pure', so I don't think there is a big disconnect as the name would allow some
zonova
Hello everyone, I'm facing a bit of confusion. I am currently in high school, taking a college level Calculus class and a college level Algrebra-Based Physics class. I am not sure whether it's because of the class, or if it's because of the math itself, but i seem to enjoy Calculus much more than my Applied Physics calculations.

Originally, i had been either wanting to go into Theoretical Physics or Mechanical/Electrical Engineering. I seem to like pure mathematics much more than applied mathematics, but at the same time i don't have enough experience in either to decide. Could any of you give me a description of what i would be looking at in both of these careers? Thank!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick ups some more mathematics books and see what interests you. Maybe you decide to go for pure mathematics?

I would be careful here. An introduction to Calculus usually does very little with what you actually end up studying in mathematics. To make this more clear, if you spend more time solving problems than proving problems, you haven't got to the crux of mathematics.

My advice is to read a more 'advance' type calculus book like Spivak, or Apostol and if that kind of thinking makes you excited and you actually enjoy trying to figure out the why in math instead just using techinques, then there is a good chance you'll love upper level mathematics.

If it helps though, I hated algebra based physics, heck, I hated calculus based physics, but I really enjoyed thermo. I personally ended up doing statistics because it was, for me, the right balance between theortical work and application. I just couldn't solve a problem for the sake of a problem being solved. No matter how interesting.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response, that makes sense. So, i'll find some books from spivak to get an idea of upper level mathematics. I'm guessing that's more pure math? Where/who would i look towards if i wanted to get an idea of what i'd be doing if i didn't get into pure math? Would the otherside of the spectrum simply be engineering/applied math? I'd like to get a taste of that too, i think that would help me ind deciding between the two.

Thanks

Pure math enough for someone learning calculus. Another book by an author who believed strongly in theortical knowledge and physical science is the great book on calculus by courant. If you want a calculus book that simply gives you some theory, but focuses on techniques, then basically any book out there will serve that purpose. I suggest the free one by Gilbert Strang on MIT website.

Also, let's not assume that applied math is mathematics that functions completely in the real world. I would say applied math is really focused on methods used in science/engineering, but the mathematical framework behind those methods can be quite 'pure', so I don't think there is a big as a disconnect as the name would allow some to believe. Think of as, 'applied math' is making the methods, and 'application' of mathematics as using the method.

You probably have encounted some making the method aspect, ie in Newton's method. While you may not be sure how Newton's method in optimization may tell us anything in the real world, but believe it or not, I used it my work with radars in the military :).

Then if you find that you enjoy designing things a bit more and using physics and math as tools to get projects completed, then you'll probably enjoy engineering. Does the idea of designing planes, circuits, machines, engines, etc get your motor going? If so, consider engineering.

However, if you like using math and learning more math, but get more interested in learning fundamental ways the world work, or then consider physics. I can't say more about that, since well, I did very little physics and it bore me.

:) I also encourage you to check out statistics. I can give you a link to my blog that can show you a couple of neat problems in probability that you may enjoy.

But remember, even though you start college soon, the good things is, you got plently of time to choose and even once you start, there is sill room to change things around.

Well, i guess there are two things that really get me going... academically speaking, anyways. I really love the feeling of looking at something extremely complex, like some proofs, equations or physics theories, and then completely understanding them. Like, being able to analyze things so complex seems really amazing to me. The second thing that i really enjoy would be more engineering related. I think I'm interested in mechanical, because i often find myself designing engines and gun parts and such. However, i also design a lot of robot-type things in my spare time, i don't know if that counts as mechanical engineering though.

Some college students i know describe applied math, like engineering, as a bit of a dumbed down version of pure math. But, i don't think this would happen with theoretical physics. So, i was thinking that i could... perhaps do a double major in math and engineering? And then go for a doctorate in physics, or something similar. This is another huge problem I'm having. There's so much i want to do, and i have no idea how to schedule it or fit it all in.I've actually done a college course on Stats, it was great. It didn't introduce Calculus concepts, however it went over a lot of other things such as regression models, normal curves, etc. I'm not sure if i'll further pursue statistics, though that's definitely a class that i'd be interested in trying in college. If you happen to have any more involved Stats problems, i'd love to look at them :)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a career?

When choosing a career, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and personality. Think about what you enjoy doing and what you are good at. Also, consider what is important to you and what type of work environment would be the best fit for your personality.

2. How can I figure out what career path is right for me?

There are a few ways to figure out what career path is right for you. You can take career aptitude tests or assessments to identify your strengths and interests. You can also do informational interviews or job shadowing to gain insight into different careers. Lastly, consider talking to a career counselor or mentor for guidance and advice.

3. Is it okay to change career paths if I am not satisfied with my current one?

Yes, it is completely okay to change career paths if you are not satisfied with your current one. People's interests and goals can change over time, and it is important to find a career that aligns with your passions and values. It may take some time and effort, but it is never too late to switch to a career that makes you happy.

4. How can I gain experience in different career fields?

One way to gain experience in different career fields is through internships or part-time jobs. This allows you to get a feel for different industries and roles while also gaining valuable skills and knowledge. You can also volunteer or take on projects related to your areas of interest to gain experience and showcase your abilities.

5. What resources are available to help me explore different career options?

There are many resources available to help you explore different career options. You can attend career fairs, join professional organizations, and network with professionals in your desired field. Additionally, there are numerous online resources such as career websites, job boards, and industry-specific blogs that can provide valuable information and insights on various careers.