Advice on How to Pursue a Career in Planetary Research

In summary, the speaker, a 17-year-old student, is interested in pursuing a career in space and planetary research, but has not received much guidance from their school. They are looking for advice on what to study at university and the steps to take to reach their goal, with a specific interest in physics and astrophysics.
Vishal Rana
Hi. Currently I’m 17 and I’m coming to the end of my first year of A levels. I have to start writing my ucas and applying for unis later this year.

I’m really interested in space and have always wanted to go down that route, however I’ve not had much guidance as what to do with my future in this sector as my school don’t offer anything to do with it. I’ve been researching a lot independently and now require some advice.

I would like to go into an area which I can research the stars and planets. So discovering new planets, finding out what they consist of and just general planetary research. However I’m not sure what steps to take into reaching this stage. What should I study at uni and where can I go after that? Should I just do physics with astrophysics at uni?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vishal Rana said:
Hi. Currently I’m 17 and I’m coming to the end of my first year of A levels. I have to start writing my ucas and applying for unis later this year.

I’m really interested in space and have always wanted to go down that route, however I’ve not had much guidance as what to do with my future in this sector as my school don’t offer anything to do with it. I’ve been researching a lot independently and now require some advice.

I would like to go into an area which I can research the stars and planets. So discovering new planets, finding out what they consist of and just general planetary research. However I’m not sure what steps to take into reaching this stage. What should I study at uni and where can I go after that? Should I just do physics with astrophysics at uni?
Nobody can tell you what you must or need to study for your career. This is something you need to solve for yourself. You could use guidance. YOUR interest as you describe, would be Physics and Astrophysics.

1. What education and qualifications are needed to pursue a career in planetary research?

To pursue a career in planetary research, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in a related field such as astronomy, physics, geology, or planetary science. Many researchers also have a graduate degree, such as a Master's or PhD, in a specific area of planetary research. Additionally, having strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as experience with data analysis and computer programming, can be beneficial for a career in this field.

2. What types of job opportunities are available in planetary research?

There are a variety of job opportunities available in planetary research, including positions at universities, government agencies such as NASA, and private companies. Some common job titles in this field include planetary scientist, research scientist, mission planner, and data analyst. You may also have the opportunity to work on research projects with other scientists or collaborate on space missions.

3. How can I gain practical experience in planetary research?

One way to gain practical experience in planetary research is through internships or research assistantships during your undergraduate or graduate studies. These opportunities can provide hands-on experience in conducting research, analyzing data, and using specialized equipment and software. You can also participate in field research expeditions or attend conferences and workshops to network with other researchers and learn about the latest advancements in the field.

4. What are some important skills for a career in planetary research?

Some important skills for a career in planetary research include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. It is also important to have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, as you may need to present your research findings or collaborate with others on projects. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming, data analysis, and remote sensing techniques can be valuable skills in this field.

5. What are some current areas of research in planetary science?

Some current areas of research in planetary science include the search for habitable exoplanets, studying the geology and composition of other planets and moons in our solar system, and investigating the potential for human exploration and colonization of other planets. Other areas of interest include the study of planetary atmospheres, the search for evidence of past or present life on other planets, and understanding the formation and evolution of our solar system and other planetary systems.