1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Notation for Factorials!

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I just have a quick question on how to write the notation for a factorial. I have a series with a factorial of 5*10*15*...*(5n) in it. Is this written as 5n!, as (5n)!, or something else? I'm pretty sure it's 5n!, as I've written 5n! out as 5(1*2*3*4*...*n), which when you distribute the 5 appears to come out as (5*10*15*...*5n), but I just wasn't sure if I'd broken some math rule somewhere.

Also, if it is 5n! and not (5n)!, can (5n)! be easily expressed in a form similar to (1*2*3*...*n)?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2
    Multiplication doesn't distribute over multiplication.

I think you're looking for a quintuple factorial, i.e. ##(5n)!!!!!##. For instance, the double factorial is defined as $$(n)!!=n \cdot (n-2) \cdot (n-4) ... 1$$

See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial#Factorial-like_products_and_functions

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Hah! Of course it doesn't! Silly me! :rolleyes:
    @phinds You're rubbing off on me, old man!

Thanks! I'll look into it!

5. Apr 28, 2016 #4

Mark44

This would be ##5^n(1 * 2 * 3 * ... * n)## or ##5^n * n!##. Each of the n factors in the original expression has a factor of 5, which gives the ##5^n## part, and the remaining part is 1 * 2 * 3 * ... * n, or n!.

6. Apr 28, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Gah! Somehow I missed the notification that you replied last night, Mark. I was just about to post the correct notation, which is 5nn!. Just got help from a tutor here on campus who figured it out. It all makes perfect sense now! :biggrin:

7. Apr 29, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

All these exclamation marks . . . everyone is so excited!!!! :woot:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted