Notation for third order derivative of a vector function

In summary, the matrix notation " f'''(x) " is a real number, while the matrix notation " f'' " is a matrix. The bilinear form " f''(x)(v,w) " is a vector, while the trilinear form " f'''(x) " is a trilinear form.
patiobarbecue
1. let f: R^n -> R, then f' is a vector and f'' is a matrix, how about f'''? it is a cube? I guess we have to use matrix notation for f'''. I have seen the notation " f'''(x)(h,h,h) ", which is a real number for sure. I have no clue how to operate it though. Any reference on third order derivative and its notation?

Homework Equations

3. f'' is a matrix, then f''' looks like a cube, where the third dimension are vectors of the following elements: d^3 f/dx_i dx_j dx_1, d^3 f/dx_i dx_j dx_2, ..., d^3 f/dx_i dx_j dx_n

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, f'(x) is not a vector -- it's a linear form. Specifically, it's the linear form with the property that
[tex]f'(x)(v) = \nabla_v f(x)[/tex]​
Of course, once you've chosen an inner product, you can convert linear forms into vectors and vice versa, and forget there's a distinction.

e.g. if vectors are Nx1 "column vectors", then f'(x) is a row vector. With respect to the dot product, we can transpose f'(x) to get a vector.

Similarly, f''(x) is not a matrix -- it's a bilinear form.
[tex]f''(x)(v,w) = \nabla_v \nabla_w f(x)[/tex]​
But you can convert bilinear forms into matrices and vice versa.

f'''(x) is a trilinear form. Alas it is somewhat inconvenient to try and talk about such things strictly in the language of matrix algebra. :frown: You can try using partitioned matrices -- it would be a row vector of row vectors of row vectors. (Of course, you could transpose one dimension so that it's a row vector of matrices. But I think that would be awkward...)

P.S. if you insist on directional derivatives being made in the direction of a unit vector, then by [itex]\nabla_v[/itex] I really mean
[tex]|v| \nabla_{v / |v|}[/tex]​
(Or, in the case where v is zero, I mean the zero function)

my textbook never talks about linear form, bilinear or trilinear form. please give me a good reference. thanks.

What is the notation for the third order derivative of a vector function?

The notation for the third order derivative of a vector function is f'''(x) or d^3f(x)/dx^3.

Why is it important to use notation for third order derivative of a vector function?

Using notation for the third order derivative of a vector function allows for a concise and standardized way to represent and work with higher order derivatives, making it easier to perform calculations and understand the behavior of the function.

How is the third order derivative of a vector function calculated?

The third order derivative of a vector function is calculated by taking the derivative of the second order derivative of the function, which is obtained by taking the derivative of the first order derivative of the function.

Can the third order derivative of a vector function be negative?

Yes, the third order derivative of a vector function can be negative, just like any other derivative. A negative third order derivative indicates that the function is concave down at that point.

Are there any practical applications of the third order derivative of a vector function?

Yes, the third order derivative of a vector function has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze the curvature and rate of change of a function, as well as to optimize systems and predict future behavior.