Notation of ln_2(k): Logarithmic or Trig Functions?

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of notation in a mathematical paper by Pierre Dusart. The author uses the notation \ln_2k and there is a question about whether this is equivalent to \log_2k=\lg k. Additionally, there is a discussion about the use of f^k notation in different contexts and the significance of using ln versus log in the notation. The conversation concludes with a desire for more explicit definitions from the author.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I started looking at a proof I had set aside for myself to read some time ago* and wondered if I was missing something in the notation.
In several of the author's formulas, he writes [tex]\ln_2k[/tex]. Is this just [tex]\log_2k=\lg k[/tex]?

On a related note, since I see this as well: I've seen notation of the form [tex]f^k[/tex] used in two different ways -- [tex]f^k(x)=f(x)\cdot f^{k-1}(x)[/tex] (usually trig functions or logs) and [tex]f^k(x)=f(f^{k-1}(x))[/tex] (usually number-theoretic functions like [tex]\sigma[/tex], but I suppose function inverses are like this in a sense). Is there any rhyme or reason behind the choice to use one or the other as convention? Is one gaining popularity with respect to the other over time?

* Pierre Dusart, "The kth Prime is Greater than [tex]k(\ln k+\ln\ln k-1)[/tex] for [tex]k\geq2[/tex]", Math. Comp. 68/225 Jan 1999, pp. 411-415.

Edit: I'm such a fool. The author does define it after all, I just missed it in my carelessness. [tex]\ln_2k=\ln\ln k[/tex] in this paper.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notation can be a funny thing, particularly when talking about superscipts. It is important for the author to define precisely what is meant in a given context. Sometimes it could mean the kth derivative as opposed to the two definitions you described.

For the log notation, once you have the subscript 2, it doesn't matter whether you write ln or log. However it is customary to use ln without a subscript to refer to base e (natural) log.

mathman said:
Notation can be a funny thing, particularly when talking about superscipts. It is important for the author to define precisely what is meant in a given context. Sometimes it could mean the kth derivative as opposed to the two definitions you described.

I've seen [tex]f^{(n)}[/tex] for that, but never just [tex]f^n[/tex] for the nth derivative.

I wish the author was more explicit -- a base-2 log is a base-2 log, but when you write ln ("natural log"), it seems like a way to disclaim that interpretation for another. You're probably right on that, though; it is the most sensible possibility I see.

1. What is the notation for ln_2(k)?

The notation for ln_2(k) is the natural logarithm of k to base 2. It is written as ln(k) with a subscript of 2.

2. How is ln_2(k) different from ln(k)?

The difference between ln_2(k) and ln(k) is the base of the logarithm. Ln(k) is the natural logarithm with base e, while ln_2(k) is the logarithm with base 2.

3. Can ln_2(k) be rewritten as a trigonometric function?

No, ln_2(k) cannot be rewritten as a trigonometric function. It is a logarithmic function and cannot be expressed in terms of sine, cosine, or other trigonometric functions.

4. What is the domain and range of ln_2(k)?

The domain of ln_2(k) is all positive real numbers, as the logarithm function is only defined for positive values. The range of ln_2(k) is all real numbers.

5. How is ln_2(k) used in scientific calculations?

Ln_2(k) is used in scientific calculations to solve exponential equations and to represent the growth rate of a quantity that doubles over a certain time period. It is also used in information theory to measure the amount of information contained in a message.