Left and Right Hand Limits Exist in Real Analysis: A Tutorial

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, notation refers to a system of symbols and conventions used in math and science, and it is important because it allows for clear communication and accuracy. A simple notation is easy to understand and learn, and the best way to learn notation is through practice and exposure. Notation can vary between different fields of science, so it is important to be familiar with the notation used in your specific area of study.
futurebird
This is a simple question. I need to know if I'm reading the notation correctly.

"Show that for each c in (a,b) the limit f(x) exists as x --> c- and as x --> c+."

This is in Royden's Real Analysis.

What I'm going to do is show that the left and right hand limits exist... right? Just like in Calc. I 15 years ago... like I remember any of this... LOL.

But that's what I'm supposed to do here? Correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks!

1. What is notation?

Notation refers to the system of symbols and conventions used to represent mathematical or scientific concepts and ideas.

2. Why is notation important?

Notation is important because it allows for clear and concise communication of complex ideas and equations. It also allows for consistency and accuracy in scientific and mathematical work.

3. What is a simple notation?

A simple notation is a system of symbols and conventions that is easy to understand and use, typically used for basic mathematical operations or concepts.

4. How do I learn notation?

The best way to learn notation is through practice and exposure. Familiarize yourself with commonly used symbols and their meanings, and consult with textbooks and online resources for more advanced notation.

5. Can notation be different in different fields of science?

Yes, notation can vary between different fields of science, as different disciplines may use different symbols or conventions for the same concept. It is important to be familiar with the notation used in your specific field of study.