Understanding Nuclear Reactions: Older Notation

• Thread starter Norman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the convention for describing reactions in older nuclear physics papers uses a notation that can be confusing to understand. The grouping of (p,n) implies that the incoming projectile is the "p" in the brackets. This notation can still be found in current research and is used to describe the target, projectile, and outgoing particle in a reaction. It may seem redundant when the target is just a proton.
Norman
In older nuclear physics papers the convention for describing reactions is kinda hard to understand.
example:
[tex] p(p,n)\Delta^{++} [/tex]

Now this must mean:

[tex] p+p \rightarrow n+\Delta^{++} [/tex]

But does the older notation imply anything about targets vs. projectiles? Does the grouping of (p,n) imply anything?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation does tell you something about the projectile and target, but I can't for the life of me remember which way round it is.

At a vague guess, I think the incoming projectile is the "p" in the brackets.

What are u doing searching among older nuclear physics books/articles...?You live in the 21-st century,i presume...

Daniel.

I didn't know that physics and it's laws have changed over time? Either way the notation was used as recently as the late 80's and I am working through a paper that uses it. I am also doing a prelimenary literature search for some research and want to know what has been done before me. What are you doing questioning why I am doing something?

I wasn't questioning what you were doing,just that it seemed weird to wirk with something that's OLD.Weren't u able to find the same things in a newer source...?

Daniel.

It's the same situation as working today with Minkowski metric (+,+,+,+) instead of Bjorken-Drell (+,-,-,-).

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's the same situation as working today with Minkowski metric (+,+,+,+) instead of Bjorken-Drell (+,-,-,-).

Daniel.

(-,+,+,+) for minkowski right? Or are you talking about some kind of imaginary time issue... so that you can treat the time and spatial pieces on the same footing? I haven't studies GR, so I don't know. Anyways, the answer to the questions is that I was not able to find the information in a more recent source, at least not that I could discern. Plus I have seen a lot of papers in Nuclear Physics that have this kind of notation, and was basically just wishing to understand the notation, since I am reading the paper it would be nice to know what the title implies about the reaction. But in the end I was just curious.

It's actually a trick.In QFT,one uses (out of commodity and habit) the mostly minus (+,-,-,-) metric,while in the flat limit of GR they use mostly plus (-,+,+,+)...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's actually a trick.In QFT,one uses (out of commodity and habit) the mostly minus (+,-,-,-) metric,while in the flat limit of GR they use mostly plus (-,+,+,+)...

Daniel.

I was confused by whether you meant (++++) or simply mistyped (-+++). And I was thinking the other day about what it would mean analytically continueing the time to the imaginary axis and treating it with the same sign as the spatial pieces... such that :
[tex] p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=E^2 + \vec{p}\cdot\vec{p} [/tex]

I was just pondering it and thought oddly enough you might be saying they do that in GR.

dextercioby said:
What are u doing searching among older nuclear physics books/articles...?You live in the 21-st century,i presume...

Daniel.

I have to say that I found this incredibly rude.

The original poster asked a legitimate question about notation.

It does not matter how old the source was. First of all there are many things published in the 80's or even 70's and 60's still useful for current research.
Second of all, even if someone wanted to understand a paper 100 years old, what would be wrong with that? Besides, I don't see what says that the notation asked about in the original post is not still in use today.

In any case, I found the reply condescending and rude.

Sorry, I had to say it.

Patb

Thanks Patb.
I felt the same way, but I guess I don't really care since Dexter tends to do this a lot on here and some of us have given up caring or listening.
Anyways, I am still waiting to hear if James R is correct about the implication of the projectile and target.
Thanks,
Norm.

I have figured out the answer. For the notation:
[tex] p(p,n)\Delta^{++} [/tex]
This Decodes as:

Target (Projectile, Particles with projectiles rapidity) Final State Target

Hope this helps someone else.

That notation is still common in nucler physics. Norman is close.
It goes: projectile(target nucleus,final nucleus)ougoing particle.
e.g. p([A,Z],[A,Z+1])n. When the target is just a proton, it does seem a bit silly.

1. What is nuclear notation?

Nuclear notation is a way of representing the composition of an atom's nucleus. It includes the element symbol, the atomic number, and the mass number.

2. How do I read nuclear notation?

The element symbol is listed first, followed by the atomic number (number of protons) as a subscript, and the mass number (sum of protons and neutrons) as a superscript. For example, the nuclear notation for carbon-12 would be written as 12C.

3. What is the difference between the old and new notation for nuclear reactions?

The old notation uses the element symbol followed by the mass number, while the new notation uses the element symbol followed by the atomic number. For example, the old notation for an alpha particle (helium nucleus) would be 4He, while the new notation would be 42He.

4. Why is it important to understand nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions are responsible for the release of large amounts of energy, and they have important applications in fields such as energy production, medicine, and research. Understanding nuclear reactions is crucial for ensuring their safe and efficient use.

5. Can nuclear reactions occur naturally?

Yes, nuclear reactions can occur naturally in certain situations, such as within stars or during radioactive decay. However, most nuclear reactions are artificially induced in controlled environments, such as in nuclear power plants or particle accelerators.