Proving "If f is Simultaneously an Eigenfunction of L^2 & L_z

In summary: It is also used to represent the expectation value of L^2 in this case. In summary, the question is about proving a relationship between the eigenvalues of L^2 and L_z for a function that is an eigenfunction of both operators. The hint given is to evaluate <f|L^2|f> using dirac notation, which is a more general way to represent the expectation value of L^2. Additionally, the question involves a spin-operator and the hint is to focus on the relationship between L_z and L^2. The main difference between the notation used and the traditional integral representation is that dirac notation does not specify a particular representation for the state function.
Funzies
Hello there,
I've got two short questions I was hoping you could help me with:

-I have to prove:
"if f is simulateneously an eigenfunction of L^2 and L_z, the square of the eigenvalue of L_z cannot exceed the eigenvalue of L^2"
He gives a hint that I should evaluate
[tex] <f|L^2|f> [/tex]
But I don't have a clue what he means by this notation?!

-Why does this hold:
[tex] <S_x> = \chi^+S_x\chi[/tex]
I am familiar with calculating <x> by doing:
[tex]<x>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi(x)^*x\psi(x)dx[/tex]
But I do not understand this different situation. Could you tell me the underlying differences/similarities?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The "S_x" is one of the spin-operators. He has a trivial action in the Hilbert space of angular momentul states. So just forget about the spin, remember what you have to prove.

Another hint would be to connect the square of L_z and the L^2.

[tex]<f|L^2|f>[/tex] is dirac notation and is more or less the same as [tex] \int_{-\inf}^{\inf}f(x)^*L^2f(x)dx[/tex] so its essentially the expectation value [tex] <L^2> [/tex] in this case. The difference is, dirac notation does not imply a particular representation for your state function f. When you write f(x), it is referred to as the coordinate representation, ie your state function is a function of position. You could also write your state function as a function of momentum, or whatever else.

In short, the [tex]<f|L^2|f>[/tex] is a more general way to represent the integral you are used to.

1. What is the definition of an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function that, when acted upon by a linear operator, returns a constant multiple of itself. In other words, the function is unchanged except for a scaling factor.

2. What is the significance of proving that a function is an eigenfunction of L^2 and L_z simultaneously?

Proving that a function is an eigenfunction of both L^2 and L_z simultaneously means that the function has well-defined, quantized values for both the total angular momentum and the z-component of angular momentum. This has important implications in quantum mechanics, as these values are used to describe the behavior of physical systems.

3. How do you prove that a function is an eigenfunction of L^2 and L_z simultaneously?

To prove that a function is an eigenfunction of L^2 and L_z simultaneously, you must show that the function satisfies both equations: L^2f = h^2f and L_zf = hf, where h is the eigenvalue. This can be done by applying the respective operators to the function and solving for h.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the eigenvalue h in this context?

The eigenvalue h represents the quantized value of the total angular momentum (L^2) or the z-component of angular momentum (L_z) for the given function. In other words, it is the value that is measured when these properties are observed in a physical system.

5. Can a function be an eigenfunction of L^2 and L_z simultaneously for any value of h?

No, the value of h must satisfy certain conditions in order for the function to be an eigenfunction of both L^2 and L_z. These conditions are determined by the properties of the operators and the mathematical relationships between them.