Notify users that someone else is posting

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter lugita15
  • Start date
In summary, someone else is posting in a thread, and it would be nice to have a feature where you can know that someone else is in the process of posting.
lugita15
Notify users that "someone else is posting"

I don't know whether this would be difficult to implement, but it would be nice to have a feature where you can somehow know that someone else is in the middle of writing or editing a post in a thread, so as to avoid "stepping on their toes". For instance, if I've just written a post, and then I see a need to edit it, I may write a follow-up post instead if I know that someone is writing a post, because there's a chance they're responding to what I originally wrote. Or I may hesitate before deleting a post. Or there's a chance that someone's editing a post that I was planning on responding to, so I might hold off on it. Various things like that.

The feature wouldn't need to say which users are in the process of posting, or even what is occurring, whether it is composing a new post or revising an old one. I would just like to know "something's going on here right now."

Physics news on Phys.org

That would probably get really screwed up with posters who sometimes start a reply and for some reason or another, have to leave their computer with the reply still in progress (aka people like me :P). I've occasionally left a reply sitting there for hours on end.

Pengwuino said:
That would probably get really screwed up with posters who sometimes start a reply and for some reason or another, have to leave their computer with the reply still in progress (aka people like me :P). I've occasionally left a reply sitting there for hours on end.
I've done that too. The same problem occurs in chatting as well, where a person leaves in the middle of a chat and it says that he's typing for all eternity. Still, some indication, even if it's sometimes inaccurate, would be better than no indication.

And by the way, one loophole to what I'm proposing would be that quick replies obviously wouldn't be covered, because there's no way for PF to know that someone's doing one. And the same might be said for quick edits as well, since I don't think just clicking the edit button on the desktop version of the site causes any data to be sent to the server. But it would still be nice to know that someone has opened the full-blown posting interface for a particular thread.

lugita15 said:
For instance, if I've just written a post, and then I see a need to edit it, I may write a follow-up post instead if I know that someone is writing a post, because there's a chance they're responding to what I originally wrote. Or I may hesitate before deleting a post. Or there's a chance that someone's editing a post that I was planning on responding to, so I might hold off on it. Various things like that.
I wouldn't worry about any of that. The person who's working on the next post can see the latest version of your post when he previews his own, and change what he's saying if necessary. As long as no one has responded, I think you should just keep improving your post for 11 hours and 40 minutes or until you think it's good enough, whichever comes first. If someone has responded, it's still OK to edit, if you make it clear what exactly you changed. I prefer to just add things in this situation, and if I feel like I have to change something that was wrong, I'll make a note like this:

Edit: I edited the formula above after the correction by lugita15 below.

There's also a problem with what you're suggesting. When you made your post, it moved the thread to the top, so it will now be read by people who wasn't reading it before, and they will often want to reply to posts made earlier by someone else, possibly about an entirely different topic. The feature you're suggesting would discourage you from posting in those situations too.

Fredrik said:
There's also a problem with what you're suggesting. When you made your post, it moved the thread to the top, so it will now be read by people who wasn't reading it before, and they will often want to reply to posts made earlier by someone else, possibly about an entirely different topic. The feature you're suggesting would discourage you from posting in those situations too.
But having more information can't hurt, can it? At worst I can just choose to ignore it and proceed anyway.

lugita15 said:
But having more information can't hurt, can it? At worst I can just choose to ignore it and proceed anyway.
Sure. But that's also an argument for not worrying whether someone else is writing a post, because when you edit yours, you're making more (or at least more accurate) information available to that person.

In other boards I post in, it shows at the bottom which other users are veiwing the thread. A bit like what's on the bottom of forum displays here. It's nice to know, but it is only really useful in convo threads and the like.

jetwaterluffy said:
In other boards I post in, it shows at the bottom which other users are veiwing the thread.
Yes, that would also be a good idea, if it's feasible on the technical side.

Just be glad you're not limited to snail mail.

What does it mean to "notify users that someone else is posting"?

This means that when someone else is making a post or update on a platform or website, the users will receive a notification informing them of this activity.

Why is it important to notify users of someone else's post?

It is important to notify users of someone else's post because it keeps them informed and engaged with the platform. It also allows them to stay updated on any new information or changes.

How does the notification system work?

The notification system works by sending a notification to the user's device or email when there is a new post made by someone else. This can be done through push notifications or email notifications.

Can users choose to turn off notifications for someone else's posts?

Yes, most platforms and websites allow users to customize their notification settings and choose which types of notifications they would like to receive. This includes the option to turn off notifications for someone else's posts.

Is there a limit to the number of users that can be notified of someone else's post?

This depends on the platform or website, but usually there is no limit to the number of users that can be notified of someone else's post. However, some platforms may have restrictions based on the user's settings or number of followers.