1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Engineering Jobs: Should I go to graduate school?

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    I am currently a nuclear engineering undergraduate. I was curious what the job perspective is with only a bachelors degree. How about with a masters? P.h.D?

I will be graduating with a Nuclear Engineering Honors Degree in Science.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2
  4. Jan 30, 2015 #3

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on where you want to work. If you want to work for a utility or vendor, a bachelors is sufficient. The usefulness of a masters is not as significant and furthermore many companies will pay for your masters degree if you work on it while employed if you are still interested in getting one. I would say if you get a job offer than take it, and if not then go back for a masters as a back-up. The other career option is NRC, government, or national lab type positions. These are more likely to benefit or require a masters degree but are more difficult to get and may not necessarily pay any better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook