Nuclear Engineering vs Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the person is a Mechanical Engineering graduate and has an interest in CFD. They have been offered admission for MS in Nuclear Engineering at UIUC with RA and MS in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford without any assistantship. They are considering which option would be better for their future goal of becoming a professor in a good university in the US, as a non-US citizen. They are not familiar with the reputation of the Nuclear department at UIUC and have concerns about job opportunities in labs and universities without US citizenship. However, they have been assured that there are numerous foreign students studying nuclear engineering in the US and that the UIUC NE department is highly regarded.
Suhas Jain
I have a bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering and I am interested in CFD. I have an admit offer for MS in Nuclear Engineering at UIUC with RA and MS in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford without any assistantship. Which one is a better option to choose considering the fact that I am not a US citizen and that I want to become a professor in future in a good university in US.

I am happy with any university since the topic of research is what I want in both the places. But I don't know the reputation of Nuclear dept. at UIUC and I am worried if a MS and PhD degree in Nuclear without US citizenship, will allow me to apply for scientific jobs in labs or professorship at universities.

Any views on this is welcome and thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would almost say go for the mechanical studies based purely on the fact that the developed world (especially the US) is not investing in its nuclear infrastructure.

Suhas Jain said:
I am happy with any university since the topic of research is what I want in both the places. But I don't know the reputation of Nuclear dept. at UIUC and I am worried if a MS and PhD degree in Nuclear without US citizenship, will allow me to apply for scientific jobs in labs or professorship at universities.
No worries. There are numerous foreign students who study nuclear engineering in the US. My previous company hired various foreigners, including a PhD student who came from China. The individual came to the US on a student visa, and only obtained permanent residency after my company hired him. He is very skilled in computational analysis.

UIUC NE department is quite good. In fact, I advised a foreign student here some years ago. However, he decided to return to his native country.

What is the difference between nuclear engineering and mechanical engineering?

Nuclear engineering focuses on the use of nuclear energy for various purposes, such as power generation, medicine, and research. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, involves the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and machines.

Do nuclear engineers and mechanical engineers work on similar projects?

While there may be some overlap in certain projects, nuclear engineers typically work on projects involving nuclear power plants, radiation protection, and nuclear waste management. Mechanical engineers, on the other hand, may work on projects involving engines, turbines, and other mechanical systems.

What type of education do I need for a career in nuclear engineering or mechanical engineering?

Both nuclear engineering and mechanical engineering require a bachelor's degree in engineering. However, nuclear engineering may also require specialized coursework in nuclear physics, nuclear materials, and radiation protection.

What skills are important for nuclear engineers and mechanical engineers?

Both nuclear engineers and mechanical engineers need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and physics. Nuclear engineers should also have knowledge of nuclear safety and regulations, while mechanical engineers should have expertise in designing and building mechanical systems.

What are some potential career paths for nuclear engineers and mechanical engineers?

Nuclear engineers may work in various industries, such as nuclear power, nuclear medicine, and research labs. Mechanical engineers can work in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, energy, and manufacturing. Both careers also offer opportunities for advancement into management or research positions.