Career in "Reactor Physics and Core Design"

In summary, a career in Reactor Physics and Core Design involves the study and application of nuclear physics principles to design and operate nuclear reactors. This field requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering, as well as extensive knowledge of nuclear energy and safety regulations. Professionals in this field work to optimize reactor performance, ensure safe operation, and develop innovative designs for future nuclear technology. With the growing demand for clean energy, there is a high demand for skilled professionals in this field, making it a promising career path for those interested in nuclear energy and technology.
Syed Alam
Dear all,

I have completed my MSc and PhD in Nuclear Engineering (Reactor Physics and Core Design) from a UK university. I am currently working at a National Lab in France.

Can you please suggest/recommend me a site where I can find the most suitable jobs related to Nuclear Engineering/Reactors Physics on a single site? I can provide an example of a site: https://www.cfd-online.com/Jobs/ which provides all the CFD jobs on a single site. Has there any dedicated and/or a well-known site like CFD-ONLINE that advertise the recent postings of nuclear engineering?

Many thanks in anticipation. All the best wishes.
SA

Physics news on Phys.org
sometimes on roadtechs.com. but that is mostly temporary openings and mostly its crafts and rad protection. otherwise you just have to check the fuel vendors, and the plants themselves. i don't know about the smaller companies, i guess you just have to search the web . good luck!

gmax137 said:
sometimes on roadtechs.com. but that is mostly temporary openings and mostly its crafts and rad protection. otherwise you just have to check the fuel vendors, and the plants themselves. i don't know about the smaller companies, i guess you just have to search the web . good luck!
Thank you so mcu for your recommendation!

Hi Kochia, Thanks a lot! I am now working in France.

Syed Alam said:
I have completed my MSc and PhD in Nuclear Engineering (Reactor Physics and Core Design) from a UK university. I am currently working at a National Lab in France.

Can you please suggest/recommend me a site where I can find the most suitable jobs related to Nuclear Engineering/Reactors Physics on a single site? I can provide an example of a site: https://www.cfd-online.com/Jobs/ which provides all the CFD jobs on a single site. Has there any dedicated and/or a well-known site like CFD-ONLINE that advertise the recent postings of nuclear engineering?
Reactor physics and core design is a very specialized field with few practitioners world-wide, unlike CFD, which is relatively huge.

For commercial systems, the fuel suppliers or utilities have their own groups doing core design and related safety analysis. The only independent, non-fuel-supplier, of which I'm aware is Studsvik-Scandpower; there may be others, but SS provides codes to utilities for commercial systems. Otherwise, national research organizations, e.g., US DOE, or the national labs, or France's CEA, have programs. France's EdF also develops and employs methods.

In the US, the American Nuclear Society (ANS) has the Reactor Physics Division (RPD), which hosts Physor, an international meeting of reactor physicists.
http://rpd.ans.org/

1. What is Reactor Physics and Core Design?

Reactor Physics and Core Design is a field of study within nuclear engineering that deals with the principles and calculations involved in designing and operating nuclear reactors. This includes understanding the behavior of neutrons, heat transfer, and radiation within a reactor core.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a Reactor Physics and Core Design scientist?

A scientist in this field is responsible for designing and optimizing nuclear reactors for various applications, such as power generation or research. This involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and using computer simulations to model reactor behavior. They also play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and efficiency of nuclear reactors.

3. What education and skills are required for a career in Reactor Physics and Core Design?

Generally, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering, physics, or a related field is required to work in this field. Strong mathematical and computer skills are also essential, as well as a thorough understanding of nuclear physics and reactor design principles.

4. What are some potential job opportunities for someone with a background in Reactor Physics and Core Design?

Graduates with expertise in Reactor Physics and Core Design can find employment in various industries, including nuclear power plants, research laboratories, and government agencies. They may also work as consultants, helping companies and organizations with their nuclear energy projects.

5. How does Reactor Physics and Core Design contribute to society?

Reactor Physics and Core Design plays a crucial role in the safe and efficient operation of nuclear reactors, which are a significant source of clean energy. Scientists in this field also contribute to the development of new and advanced nuclear technologies, such as small modular reactors, which have the potential to provide clean and reliable energy to communities around the world.