Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Null sets : P

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1
    Wot exactly is a null set? i dont understand it. if anyone could explain that wuld be wikid. :cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it would depend on the context, but it is, generically, something that is zero.

4. Apr 25, 2004 #3
    It exists to make difference between "something" and "nothing". A set that contains something is like something and the null set is nothing (contains nothing)

5. Apr 25, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that is not necessarily true. A null set, could be, as I suspect it will be in this case, a set of measure zero.

6. Apr 25, 2004 #5
    ok..maybe my english is not good enough.. what is that called: ø?

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6
    isn't it a null set? or an empy set?

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that is the empty set. It is a null set in the sense that its cardinality is zero.

9. Apr 25, 2004 #8
    is there any other set, whiches cardinality is zero exept the empty set?
    I don't think so

10. Apr 25, 2004 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it, the empty set, is unique. But that doesnt' have any bearing on what a null set is until we see what situation we are dealing with.

11. Apr 26, 2004 #10
    For example.. the set of rationals and irrationals. rationals are a null set and wot bout irrationals?? Matt could u explain in dummy maths why rationals are a null set?

12. Apr 26, 2004 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I thought, a null set is one that has measure zero. Example: and countable subset of R (Eg the rationals): let x_i be an enumeration of the set, round each point x_i consider the interval e/2^i, then the measure of the set is less than the sum over i of e^2^i = e. e was arbitrary hence it has measure zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?