1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Null sets : P

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1
    Wot exactly is a null set? i dont understand it. if anyone could explain that wuld be wikid. :cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it would depend on the context, but it is, generically, something that is zero.

4. Apr 25, 2004 #3
    It exists to make difference between "something" and "nothing". A set that contains something is like something and the null set is nothing (contains nothing)

5. Apr 25, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that is not necessarily true. A null set, could be, as I suspect it will be in this case, a set of measure zero.

6. Apr 25, 2004 #5
    ok..maybe my english is not good enough.. what is that called: ø?

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6
    isn't it a null set? or an empy set?

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that is the empty set. It is a null set in the sense that its cardinality is zero.

9. Apr 25, 2004 #8
    is there any other set, whiches cardinality is zero exept the empty set?
    I don't think so

10. Apr 25, 2004 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it, the empty set, is unique. But that doesnt' have any bearing on what a null set is until we see what situation we are dealing with.

11. Apr 26, 2004 #10
    For example.. the set of rationals and irrationals. rationals are a null set and wot bout irrationals?? Matt could u explain in dummy maths why rationals are a null set?

12. Apr 26, 2004 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I thought, a null set is one that has measure zero. Example: and countable subset of R (Eg the rationals): let x_i be an enumeration of the set, round each point x_i consider the interval e/2^i, then the measure of the set is less than the sum over i of e^2^i = e. e was arbitrary hence it has measure zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?