1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nullspace of an eigenspace

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screenshot2012-07-28at80229PM.png
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand how [tex]u_1[/tex] = [tex][1 -1]^T [/tex]? By my reckoning [tex]u_1[/tex] =
    [tex]
    \frac{v_1}{\parallel v_1 \parallel}
    [/tex]
    which is
    [tex]
    \frac{-2}{\parallel -2+1 \parallel}, \frac{-2}{\parallel -2+1 \parallel}
    [/tex]
    which is
    [-2, -2] not [1, -1]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2
    Could you clear up your tex? It is hard to understand what your actual question is. Use [ tex] and [ /tex] tags for tex. (Without the space!)

4. Jul 28, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There.

I pretty much cleaned it up for you.

5. Jul 28, 2012 #4
    I do not know what v_1 is, as it is not in the problem statement. But I can explain where u_1 comes from. The problem gives the matrix 2I-A. If you take u_1 and calculate (2I-A)u_1, then you get the 0 vector. Thus, u_1 lies in the null space of (2I - A). Since the null space of 2I - A has dimension one, that means that u_1 spans the null space of 2I - A, and so that 2Iu_1 = Au_1, meaning that u_1 is an eigenvector of A, and thus spans the eigenspace of A. Also, you do not have to normalize u_1, since the span of the normalized u_1 is the same as the span of u_1.

6. Jul 29, 2012 #5
    Here is more of the question:
    Screenshot2012-07-29at35312AM.png
    if u_1 spans the null space of 2I - A, then that does not explain how u_1 is [tex][1 -1]^T[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  7. Jul 29, 2012 #6
    I think I understand what's going on now. Here's another example:

Screenshot2012-07-29at50229AM.png

It looks like after you reduce things to row echelon form, you reduce it again so that one of the values = 1. here, x -3/4y = 0. then you put one of the variables on the other side of the equation, so that u_1 becomes [tex][3/4 1 0]^T[/tex]. But I would think it should be [tex][1 3/4 0][/tex]

I'm not sure about u_2 however.

8. Jul 29, 2012 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're looking for the solution to (2I-I)x=0, right? So solve
    $$(2I-A)\vec{x} = \begin{pmatrix} -2 & -2 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \end{pmatrix} = 0.$$ Forget about nullspaces and eigenspaces for the moment. You're just solving a system of equations.

9. Jul 29, 2012 #8
    I sort of understand what is going on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook