Number of possible combinations

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the number of combinations for a set of items and how it can be adapted to find the number of combinations without repetition. The formula, known as the binomial coefficient, can be used to find the total number of subsets for a set with 16 items. By plugging in specific values for r, the number of combinations for each subset can be calculated and added together to find the total number of combinations without repetition. This method is more efficient than repeating the calculation 16 times and can be applied to larger datasets in the future.
kidkook
I have 16 items and i need to know the number of possible combination for all 16 items. I know the possible number of combination for all 16 items is 1 and the possible number of combinations for 15 of the 16 items is 16 using the formula below:

[tex] \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}.[/tex]

How can i adaprt this formula to calculate for the number of selection from 1 to 16 inclusive without repeating the calculation 16 times.

So n will always be 16 and r will be 1 to 16 inclusive.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your wording is a little confusing. Is this the correct interpretation:
You want to know the total number of ways to select at least one item from the 16.

If it is, think about this: you should know the total number of subsets (empty, proper, with the original set) for a set with 16 items. Your question involves finding not the total number but how many there are not counting the empty set.

Sorry for the confusion. What i have is a dataset with 16 different values. What I'm trying to achieve is to determine how many combination are available without repetition/duplication of a value. So i know the answer is 65536. I achieved this by using the above formula 16 times and substituting the value of r from 1 to 16 etc...and adding the number together.

Number of combinations Value of r
16 1
120 2
560 3
1820 4
4368 5
8008 6
11440 7
12870 8
11440 9
8008 10
4368 11
1820 12
560 13
120 14
16 15
1 16

What i would like to know is...can the formula be adapted to so i don't need to repeat the calculation 16 times. My dataset is likely to increase significantly in the future so it will not be practical to use this method.

Note that ##\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}## is called the binomial coefficient and is often denoted
$${n \choose r} = \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}$$
The reason it is called the binomial coefficient is the following property:
$$(x+y)^n = \sum_{r=0}^{n}{n \choose r}x^r y ^{n-r}$$
If we plug in ##x=y=1## then this reduces to
$$2^n = \sum_{r=0}^{n}{n \choose r} = 1 + \sum_{r=1}^{n} {n \choose r}$$
where the second equality follows because ##{n \choose 0} = 1##. Therefore,
$$\sum_{r=1}^{n} {n \choose r} = 2^n - 1$$
which is consistent with your calculation since ##2^{16} - 1 = 65535##.

Excellent. This is exactly what i was looking for. A very well documented explanation. Many thanks.

1. What is the definition of "Number of possible combinations"?

The number of possible combinations refers to the total number of unique ways in which a set of elements can be arranged or chosen. It is usually denoted by the symbol "n" or "C".

2. How is the number of possible combinations calculated?

The number of possible combinations can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-r)!r!, where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements chosen. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the binomial coefficient formula nCr = n!/r!(n-r)!

3. How is the concept of number of possible combinations used in science?

The concept of number of possible combinations is used in many fields of science, such as genetics, chemistry, and statistics. It is used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes and to determine the possible arrangements of elements in a given system.

4. What is the significance of the number of possible combinations in real-life situations?

The number of possible combinations has significant implications in real-life situations, such as in cryptography, where it is used to create secure passwords. It is also used in lottery systems to calculate the odds of winning and in statistical analysis to determine the likelihood of certain events occurring.

5. Can the number of possible combinations ever be infinite?

No, the number of possible combinations can never be infinite. It is a finite value that depends on the total number of elements and the number of elements chosen. However, in cases where the total number of elements is very large, the number of possible combinations can be astronomically high.