Number of unique ways of stacking n blocks

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hello95
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blocks
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
hello95
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I was wondering if this problem is one that is solvable, and if so, if I would be able to solve it in a reasonable amount of time.

Basically, say you have n blocks. You can arrange this blocks in stacks, so for example, if you had 3 blocks, you could make a stack of 2, and then add a stack of 1. The question is, for these n blocks, how many unique ways are there of arranging them in stacks (the order is irrelevant). I got the idea from a theorem in abstract algebra, which says that a finite abelian group is isomorphic to the direct product of cyclic groups with orders equal to some integral power of a prime. Since such a direct product would be isomorphic to a cyclic group equal to the product of all of the prime power orders, then I could find a way to represent all of the possible forms of a cyclic group of order (2^7)(5^2) by simply taking the number of ways of stacking 7 blocks and multiplying it by the number of ways of stacking 2 blocks.

Another way of looking at the problem would be, if you have n star symbols (*), how many ways would there be of grouping certain numbers of those stars together so that the sum of all of the elements in all of the groupings equaled n:

(*)(*)(*)(*), (**)(**), (*)(***), (****)

Once again, order is irrelevant.

If you know the answer, please do not post it. Ultimately I just want to know if this problem is feasible for someone with a decent knowledge (but my no means expansive) of combinatorics to attempt.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If any further explanation is needed, please let me know.
 
If order is irrelevant, this strikes me as being equivalent to asking for the number of partitions of n. A google search for "integer partitions" should reveal plenty of information.
 
Thank you! that's exactly what I was looking for.