Solving Number Theory Problems: Follow-up Question on Calculating Averages"

In summary, Astro has a follow-up question regarding calculating averages and has attached a follow-up question document. Another user, Hey Astro, responds by explaining that averaging three numbers is essentially averaging the lengths of three intervals on the number line. They also address Astro's proposed method and suggest a different method that leads to the correct average. The user offers their response as a potential help to Astro.
Astro
I have a follow-up question to the "Calculating Averages" thread.
Please see the "Followup_Question" attachment.

Any help is, as always, most appreciated.

(See this link for the original question: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=143759)

Attachments

• Followup_Question.pdf
    11.2 KB · Views: 194
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Astro,

You cannot do what you are suggesting for a pretty simple reason. Think of the one-dimensional number line. Each positive number x on the number line represents the distance between that number and 0. So, any line segment on the number line with length x lies on a closed interval [tex] [0 + \alpha, x + \alpha] [/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is an arbitrary constant in the real numbers. So, when you average the three numbers 1, 3, and 8, you are in fact averaging the lengths of three intervals [0,1], [0,3], [0,8] (here I'm taking [tex]\alpha[/tex] to be 0, but that's really inconsequential).

Your method posits taking half the length of the intervals [1,3] and [3,8] and averaging those values, which to be honest doesn't make any sense when you think of this geometrically. It also doesn't make sense logically, since you eliminated an interval in the process. However, you do have the germ of an idea here. If we consider three subintervals that lie on the interval [0,8]: [0,1], [1,3], and [3,8] and if we apply a version of your method:

[tex]\frac{1-0}{2} + \frac{3-1}{2} + \frac{8-3}{2}[/tex],

then we arrive at:

[tex]\frac{1 + 2 + 5}{2} = 4[/tex]

...which is the average of 1, 3, and 8. I'm not certain if I answered your question as thoroughly as you'd hoped, but I hope that this helps you in some way.

Thank you for your question! I am happy to provide further clarification on calculating averages in number theory problems. Can you please specify what aspect of calculating averages you would like further information on? Is there a specific problem or concept that you are struggling with? This will help me provide a more targeted and helpful response. Thank you.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers. It is primarily concerned with understanding the patterns and structures that exist within the set of whole numbers.

2. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. In other words, they have no other factors besides 1 and the number itself. Examples of prime numbers include 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and so on.

3. What is the significance of prime numbers in number theory?

Prime numbers play a crucial role in number theory as they are the building blocks of all other numbers. They have unique properties and relationships that make them important in various mathematical concepts and applications, such as cryptography and factorization.

4. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

A composite number is any number that has more than two factors, whereas a prime number has only two factors. In other words, composite numbers can be divided evenly by numbers other than 1 and itself, while prime numbers cannot.

5. How is number theory used in real life?

Number theory has various practical applications, such as in cryptography, which is used to secure sensitive information online. It is also used in computer science and coding to develop algorithms and data structures. Additionally, number theory plays a role in fields like physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and solve complex problems.