Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical Integration in VC++

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    I'm doing some numerical integration using C++ with Visual Studio. Are there any free online libraries where I can find routines to help with this? If there are, what is recommended and would be compatible with VC++? I have looked at the GNU library, but from what I understand this only works on Linux. Any advice would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2
    GSL works perfectly well under Windows; it is, after all, portable code. The first result on a google search for "gnu scientific library" + "visual studio" gives here, for example.

There are also loads of other relevant libraries. Given that you're developing in C++ I'll assume that you're already familiar with Boost. Why not use that?

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    Thanks, I took a trip to the library and found a lot of what I was looking for in a few books. I have heard a lot about boost, so I downloaded the standard package. I'm not sure how to use it though, becuase I have never used outside libraries before. I tried to read the instructions, but most of it was over my head. Is there a place where I learn the basics of using other libraries in my program.

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4
    If you've never used an external library in your code you're probably getting a bit ahead of yourself by attempting to use Boost; it's an immensely powerful set of (mainly header) libraries and, as a result, requires a correspondingly large investment of time to understand.

If you're interested to see how to include external libraries you could do worse than checking out Jeff Cogswell's C++ Cookbook (O'Reilly).

6. Jan 31, 2009 #5
    Are you integrating a function all the time?
    Is it the same function all the time?

Or are you integrating data from a plot?

The NETLIB site might have a routine, but most of the routines posted there are written in FORTRAN. You would either have to f2c the code, or translate it manually.

7. Jan 31, 2009 #6
    In Visual studio that's equivalent to adding references. You left click your project and add reference. Browse to .dll files and add them. (I have been doing this in c# and I am sure that c++ should be very similar).
    Rest is same as using any other standard library.

Refer to
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e6w9eycd(VS.80).aspx

P.S. Using external libraries is really easy and you do not need to know anything about it other than 6-10 lines instructions. Yes, first time can be bit hard.

8. Feb 3, 2009 #7
    I place all of the following information in the stdafx.h file.

This is an example linking to Oracle libraries...

Code (Text):

#include "C:\Oracle\Ora92\oo4o\CPP\INCLUDE\oracl.h"

#ifdef _DEBUG
        #pragma comment(lib, "C:\\Oracle\\Ora92\\oo4o\\CPP\\LIB\\DBG\\ORACLM32.lib")
    #else // _DEBUG
        #pragma comment(lib, "C:\\Oracle\\Ora92\\oo4o\\CPP\\LIB\\ORACLM32.lib")
    #endif // _DEBUG

This is an example linking to OpenGL libraries...

Code (Text):

#include <gl\gl.h>
    #include <gl\glu.h>
    #include <gl\glaux.h>

#pragma comment(lib, "glu32.lib")
    #pragma comment(lib, "glaux.lib")
    #pragma comment(lib, "opengl32.lib")

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?