Numerical Methods vs Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of numerical methods and differential equations in computer science and the job opportunities that require knowledge in these areas. It is suggested that numerical methods may be more beneficial for a computer science major due to its closer relation to programming. However, it is also mentioned that both fields can be beneficial and it is recommended to have knowledge in both for better job prospects.
Monte_Carlo
Hi guys,

I'm currently in computer science program and I have an urgent feeling that I need better exposure to math. I have taken Discrete Math, Calculus i, ii, iii and I've independently studied linear algebra. I guess my concern is lack of differential equations and numerical methods. In your experience, what jobs with computer science orientation require knowledge of numerical methods and differential equations?

Thanks,

Monte

Physics news on Phys.org
both of those are related to engineering

Ok but which one is better for computer science major?

probably numerical methods, since you would be using a computer / algorithms to approximate solutions to certain types of problems

Monte_Carlo said:
Ok but which one is better for computer science major?
Numerical methods is inevitably going to be closer to programming, and may well involve programming.

Monte_Carlo said:
In your experience, what jobs with computer science orientation require knowledge of numerical methods and differential equations?
You're talking about jobs that typically go to scientists and engineers who have a bit of a background in computer science. It's pretty rare for those jobs to go to computer science majors. If you are applying for such jobs, you had better hope that the automated filtering software has ways for you to identify keywords that will keep your resume from being filed circularly.

What's wrong with doing both? Does it cost you a fortune to do both?
If you think there is a chance that in the future you will not be selected for the job because you lack experience in one of these fields, then play it safe and do both.

1. What is the difference between numerical methods and differential equations?

Numerical methods involve using algorithms and mathematical techniques to approximate solutions to mathematical problems, while differential equations involve using mathematical models to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. When should numerical methods be used instead of differential equations?

Numerical methods are generally used when an analytical solution to a mathematical problem is not possible or too complex. In these cases, numerical methods provide a more feasible and accurate approach to finding solutions.

3. Which is more accurate - numerical methods or differential equations?

Both numerical methods and differential equations have their own advantages and limitations in terms of accuracy. However, numerical methods can provide more accurate solutions in certain cases where differential equations may not have an analytical solution.

4. Can numerical methods be used for all types of differential equations?

No, not all types of differential equations can be solved using numerical methods. Some equations may be too complex or may have too many variables to be approximated accurately using numerical methods.

5. How can numerical methods and differential equations be used together?

Numerical methods can be used to solve differential equations by approximating the solution at different points. This allows for a more accurate and efficient way of solving complex mathematical models that involve both differential equations and other mathematical techniques.