Convergence Analysis for Advection Equation in 1D with Varying Steps

In summary, numerical convergence is a concept in numerical analysis that measures the accuracy of a numerical method. It is calculated by comparing successive iterations and is important for determining the accuracy of approximations and selecting the most efficient method. Factors such as the choice of method, initial guess, error tolerance, and problem properties can affect convergence, but it can be improved by using more accurate approximations, reducing error tolerance, and choosing a more stable and precise method.
Winzer

Homework Statement

Suppose I have coded up the advection equation in one spatial dimension and in time. I
give it an initial profile, and watch it evolve over time. I very the number of xsteps and time steps.
How would I do a convergence analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
So...

FAQ: Convergence Analysis for Advection Equation in 1D with Varying Steps

What is numerical convergence?

Numerical convergence is a concept in numerical analysis where a sequence of approximations approaches a true value as the number of iterations increases. It is an important measure of the accuracy of a numerical method.

How is numerical convergence calculated?

Numerical convergence is typically calculated by comparing the results of successive iterations of a numerical method and determining the rate at which the approximations approach the true value. This can be done using various metrics such as error tolerance or the difference between successive approximations.

Why is numerical convergence important?

Numerical convergence is important because it allows us to determine the accuracy of a numerical method and to ensure that our approximations are approaching the true value. It is also used to compare different numerical methods and to select the most efficient and accurate one for a given problem.

What factors affect numerical convergence?

Numerical convergence can be affected by several factors such as the choice of numerical method, the initial guess or approximation, the error tolerance, and the properties of the problem being solved. Additionally, the stability of the numerical method and the precision of the computations can also impact convergence.

How can numerical convergence be improved?

Numerical convergence can be improved by using more accurate initial approximations, reducing the error tolerance, or using a more stable numerical method. It can also be improved by using more precise computations and by choosing a numerical method that is better suited for the specific problem being solved.