1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nyquist plot, damping factor and phase margin

1. Feb 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Nyquist (polar) plot of a standard second-order system is shown below (drawn to scale).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=66371&stc=1&d=1391738703.jpg
    Suppose a unit-step function is applied as the input to this system. Determine the peak percentage overshoot expected in the system output.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My idea was to trace backwards from the ω→+∞ at the origin until I reach a vector from the origin to a point on the curve with magnitude one. This ω will correspond to a gain cross over frequency and provide me with the phase margin.

I could then link this value of the phase margin back to zeta through the following equation,

[tex]\text{P.M.} = \gamma = tan^{-1}\left( \frac{2\zeta}{\sqrt{-2\zeta^{2}+\sqrt{1+4\zeta^{2}}}}\right)}[/tex]

The first point I could find that would give me a vector of magnitude one resides at (0.6, -0.8) yielding a phase margin of 126.87°. Unfortunately this PM yields a negative value for zeta.

Any idea where I went wrong or an easier way to solve the problem?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2
    Bump, still looking for help!

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might help if you defined what your textbook calls a "standard" 2nd order system.

Looking carefully at the plot, it doesn't go exactly through (0.6, -0.8), but it does go exactly through (1, 0), (0, 0) and (0, -0.8), and the slope at (1,0) is vertical. Is that enough data to fix the transfer function, for your "standard" system?

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4
    A standard 2nd order system would be in the form,

[tex]G(s) = \frac{\omega_{n}^{2}}{s^{2}+2\zeta \omega_{n} s + \omega_{n}^2}[/tex]

The only information I can extract out of those three points is that,

[tex]G(j\omega_{n}) = \frac{1}{j2 \zeta} = -j0.8[/tex]

[tex]|G(j\omega_{n}| = \frac{1}{2 \zeta} = 0.8[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \zeta = 0.625[/tex]

So,

[tex]\text{OS%} = 100 e^{\frac{-\pi \zeta}{\sqrt{1 - \zeta^{2}}}} = 8.083 \text{%}[/tex]
    attachment.php?attachmentid=66491&stc=1&d=1392080153.jpg

Does the slope at the point (1,0) somehow link back to ζ as well?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. Feb 10, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem I have with this is that you speak of a standard 2nd order transfer function, which is well defined: F(s) = (1/(s2 + 2ζwns + wn2), which I assume is the closed-loop transfer function.

However, a Nyquist plot is that of the open loop, not the closed loop, and the open loop is not unique to the closed loop.

One candidate however is F(s) = G/(1+G) which is G/(1+GH) with H=1 (unity fedback).

The closed loop is also written as F(s) = 1/(s+s1)(s+s2) where s1 and s2 are complex-conjugate pole pairs:
    s1 = a +jb
    s2 = a -jb
    where a and b are functions of ζ and wn.

Solve for G(a,b) from G/(1+G) = 1/(s+a+jb)(s+a-jb) with s = jw.

You can now generate a "template" Nyquist plot of G(jw) with unknown a and b. Then pick values for a and b so as to generate your given plot. This may not be as bad as it seems if you pick your w point judiciously. Knowing a and b you can find wn and ζ . Finally you have the entire closed loop transfer function and can input a step function and solve for the overshoot.

This seems a really horrible problem that way, there is probably a short-cut of some kind equating open-loop Nyquist plots with the corresponding closed-loop transfer functions, but I don't know it. I'll try to research this a bit further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted