Nyquist Sampling Theorem - I just understand this.

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding and application of the Nyquist Sampling Theorem, with a specific example from a book. The conversation includes a sketch of the spectrum for the original signal, and the use of the Euler Identity to simplify the equation and solve for the values -1 and 1. The conversation also mentions the use of the trigonometric identity and provides a step-by-step explanation of the process.
Brad1983
Hello! I am having a difficult time understanding the "Nyquist Sampling Theorem." I was wondering if someone can help me understand this. Below is an example out of my book:

Q: Suppose that an analog signal is given as
x(t) = 5cos(2*pi*1000t), for t > 0
and is sampled at the rate of 8000 HZ

a.) Sketch the spectrum for the original signal.

A:
They do the Euler Identity:
5cos(2*pi*1000t = (ej*2*pi*1000*t + e-j*2*pi*1000*t) / 2
5cos(2*pi*1000t)= 2.5*ej*2*pi*1000*t + 2.5*e-j*2*pi*1000*t

The coefficient is c1 = 2.5 and c2 = 2.5 and they get the following graph:
graph.jpg

--------------------------------------------

According to what's in my book and my course shell, I am trying to do the example problem like it is in my course shell which is something like this:
I know fs > 2* fmaxx(t) = 5cos(2*pi*1000t)
fs = (1 / Ts)

x(nT) = 5cos((2*pi*1000*n) /fs)
x(nT) = 5cos((2000*pi*n)/8000)
x(nT) = 5cos((1/4)*pi*n) <-- This is where I get stuck.

I don't recall the Euler Method and I don't understand how they get -1 and 1, and it shows 2.5.

Am I doing this wrong and Eulor Identity is the only way to do this? Or is my procedure right the way I am doing it? Again if its correct, this is where I get stuck at.

I have homework problems that covers similar materials like this and if someone can help me understand this, that would great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! The Euler Identity is a useful tool to use when trying to understand the Nyquist Sampling Theorem. You are correct in your procedure, but you are missing one step. To get -1 and 1, you need to use the trigonometric identity: cos(x) = (e^jx + e^-jx)/2. In this case, x = (1/4)*pi*n. Plugging this into the identity gives us:x(nT) = 5cos((1/4)*pi*n) = (e^j((1/4)*pi*n) + e^-j((1/4)*pi*n)) / 2At this point, you can simplify the equation by multiplying it by the constant 5:5x(nT) = (5e^j((1/4)*pi*n) + 5e^-j((1/4)*pi*n)) / 2Now, since e^jx and e^-jx are always equal to 1 and -1, respectively, we can rewrite the equation as:5x(nT) = (5(-1) + 5(1)) / 2 = 2.5(-1) + 2.5(1)And this gives us the same result as the Euler Identity. Hope this helps!

1. What is the Nyquist Sampling Theorem?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem, also known as the Nyquist-Shannon Sampling Theorem, is a fundamental theory in signal processing that states that in order to accurately reconstruct a continuous signal from its sampled version, the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency component of the signal.

2. Why is the Nyquist Sampling Theorem important?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem is important because it allows us to accurately capture and reconstruct analog signals in digital form. This is crucial in various fields such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, and medical imaging.

3. How does the Nyquist Sampling Theorem work?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem works by ensuring that the sampling rate is high enough to capture all the information contained in a continuous signal. By taking samples at a rate of at least twice the highest frequency present in the signal, we can avoid the problem of aliasing, which can distort the reconstructed signal.

4. Can the Nyquist Sampling Theorem be violated?

Yes, the Nyquist Sampling Theorem can be violated if the sampling rate is too low. This can lead to aliasing, which is when the reconstructed signal contains frequencies that were not present in the original signal. This can result in inaccurate and distorted data.

5. How is the Nyquist Sampling Theorem applied in real-world situations?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem is applied in various real-world situations where analog signals need to be converted to digital form for processing. For example, in audio recordings, the sampling rate is typically set at 44.1 kHz, which is more than twice the highest frequency that humans can hear, to ensure accurate reconstruction of the sound. In telecommunications, the Nyquist rate is used to determine the minimum bandwidth required for transmitting a signal without distortion.