Obama, the change, peace prize, bush

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation discusses the history of Nobel peace prizes being bestowed on certain individuals, including Henry Kissinger and Barack Obama. The speaker questions why Obama was given the prize, as he had only been in office for a year and there was no significant peace progress at the time. Some argue that it was a way to pressure him to not continue Bush's policies and instead pursue a peaceful path. The speaker also mentions that they wish similar pressure had been placed on infamous leaders such as Hitler and Pol Pot. They then acknowledge that American policies can involve unpleasant actions due to their superpower status. Overall, the conversation suggests that Obama's Nobel Peace Prize may have been given in hopes of influencing him to be different from his predecessor.
jackson6612
I know they have quite a history of bestowing some individuals with Nobel peace prizes - Henry Kissinger is a prime example of those gentlemen. I still often wonder why they blessed Obama with the prize. At that time he didn't even have completed one year (hope I've it right) in the office and there was really no new dawn of peace. Some argued that they did so only to pressurize him so that he didn't continue Bush' policies. In a way 'pressurized' to follow peaceful path. I wish they would have pressurized Hitler and Pol Pot with the same kind of awards! I'm not criticizing American policies; I understand when you're a super power you have to do some nasty things - at least history tells us so. Of course, Obama knows how to sugar-coat his words and further cover them in his so famous humility. I see I don't even intend to criticize Obama. I'm simply arguing that Bush wasn't so bad after all, perhaps.

Your opinions, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is pretty old news but you are right: his award was given for:
1. Hope
2. Influence

What it says about Bush is they were hoping he'd he different and trying to influence him to be different.

1. What changes did Obama bring during his presidency?

During his presidency, Obama implemented several changes such as the Affordable Care Act, the legalization of same-sex marriage, and the Paris Climate Agreement. He also focused on improving the economy and creating jobs, as well as ending the war in Iraq.

2. Why did Obama win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 for his efforts in promoting international diplomacy and cooperation, especially in regards to nuclear disarmament. He was also recognized for his efforts in addressing global issues such as climate change and poverty.

3. How did Obama's policies differ from those of President Bush?

Obama and President Bush had different approaches to governing. While Bush focused on tax cuts and a more aggressive foreign policy, Obama focused on healthcare reform and diplomacy. Additionally, Obama's policies were generally more progressive and aimed towards social and economic equality.

4. How did Obama's presidency impact the United States?

Obama's presidency had a significant impact on the United States. Some of his accomplishments include the economic recovery from the 2008 recession, the expansion of healthcare coverage through the Affordable Care Act, and the legalization of same-sex marriage. He also worked towards improving relations with other countries and promoting peace and diplomacy.

5. What is the legacy of Obama's presidency?

Obama's presidency left a lasting impact on the United States. He is widely recognized as the first African American president, and his policies have had a positive impact on many Americans. He also paved the way for future leaders and inspired a new generation of politicians. However, his legacy is still being debated and analyzed by scholars and the public.