Object A catches Object B, at when?

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
In summary, the blue car starts accelerating at a rate of 2m/s^2 in a positive direction and the red car passes it at x=0 with a speed of 8 m/s and an acceleration of 3m/s^2. When will the red car catch up to the blue car? The red car will catch up to the blue car at the same time t as it passes x=0. You need to solve for x (the location of the blue car) using the general formula x(t)= (1/2)at2+ v0t+ x0. When you have solved for x, you can use it to solve for t (the time the red car catches up to the blue
PrudensOptimus
Hello.

Before I state the problem, I would like to make clear that I ask for a HINT, a GUIDANCE, a DIRECTION-POINTING on the problem. What is the big picture here that I need to understand? Not necessarily requiring anyone to solve the problem for me. Thanks.

At t = 0 and x = 0, an initially stationary blue car begin accelerate at constant rate of 2m/s^2 in positive direction of the x axis. At t = 2s, a red car traveling in an adjacent lane and in the same direction, passes x = 0 with a speed of 8 m/s and a constant acceleration of 3m/s^2; When will the red car pass the blue car?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you asked a question.

If not too much trouble, solve the problem step by step please.

Otherwise, give me a hint please.

I'm serious, bud. All that shows up in your post is the intro and a little grey box with the word 'code:' above it. I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to, let alone asking about. If that's supposed to be a link to something, it doesn't work on my system.

At t = 0 and x = 0, an initially stationary blue car begin accelerate at constant rate of 2m/s^2 in positive direction of the x axis. At t = 2s, a red car traveling in an adjacent lane and in the same direction, passes x = 0 with a speed of 8 m/s and a constant acceleration of 3m/s^2; When will the red car pass the blue car?

Blue is ahead of Red but Red is accelerating more (increasing its speed at a higher rate than Blue). You need to solve for the distance x (from the origin) at which Red will catch up with Blue. Have you studied calculus? What is the definition of acceleration that you have been taught?

hint: x will be the same for the two cars but for the red one the time interval is (t - 2) sec.

Use the general formula x(t)= (1/2)at2+ v0t+ x0 to write x as a function of t for each a car. That gives you two equations in two unknowns. When one car passes the other, they will have the same position x at the same time t. Solve the two equations for x and t. t is the time one car passes the other.

try out this equation --
(1/2)*2*t*t= 8(t-2) + (1/2)*3*(t-2)*(t-2)

also first try figuring out why this equation?
hint -- displacement is constant..

1. What is the concept behind "Object A catches Object B"?

The concept of "Object A catches Object B" refers to a situation in which one object successfully intercepts and stops the motion of another object in motion.

2. How is the timing of the catch determined?

The timing of the catch is determined by the initial velocity and position of both objects, as well as any external forces acting on the objects during their motion. It can also be affected by factors such as air resistance and friction.

3. Can Object A catch Object B at any point during their motion?

No, Object A can only catch Object B at a specific point in their motion when their positions and velocities align in a way that allows for a successful interception. This point is determined by the laws of physics and cannot be altered by external factors.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the timing of the catch?

Yes, there are various mathematical formulas and equations that can be used to calculate the timing of the catch, depending on the specific scenario and variables involved. These formulas are based on principles of kinematics and can be solved using algebra or calculus.

5. How does the mass of the objects affect the timing of the catch?

The mass of the objects does not directly affect the timing of the catch, as it is primarily determined by their initial velocities and positions. However, the mass of the objects can indirectly impact the timing through factors such as inertia and gravitational forces.