Object A is moving relative to O , what does it mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity in special relativity and how it is measured from the perspective of a specific coordinate system. The formula for calculating relative velocity is also mentioned, along with the importance of using the correct frame of reference for accurate measurements.
diazdaiz
since i am new at learning special relativity, i still miss the concept about how thing move in special relativity. In high school, i am doing several problem about velocity addition, and that word always appear. for example:
A is moving with velocity vAO relative to O, and B is moving with velocity vBO relative to O, what is A velocity relative to B?
and then i am using formula
VAB=(VAO+VOB)/(1+VAO.VOB/c2)
and then you get the answer
but i can't really understand it. So i try to draw it
(in this image, i just draw object O and A (without B), so i can understand what VAO really mean)
(let say that A is traveling 0.5c from our viewpoint)
dunno.png

so, VAO will be 1/3 c because O see A only travel 1.5x108m after 1.5 second (or 3x108m after 3 second), is this what we say A is moving relative to O?

Physics news on Phys.org
diazdaiz said:
is this what we say A is moving relative to O?
No, A moving relative to O means that the position of A as measured by O (in O's coordinate system) changes over time. The relative speed ##V_{OA}## is the change in A's position ##\Delta x## over the interval of time ##\Delta t## (as measured in O's coordinates), and in your diagram it's just 0.5c. Nothing to do with what O sees (i.e. light from A reaching O).

Likes diazdaiz
Vitro said:
No, A moving relative to O means that the position of A as measured by O (in O's coordinate system) changes over time. The relative speed ##V_{OA}## is the change in A's position ##\Delta x## over the interval of time ##\Delta t## (as measured in O's coordinates), and in your diagram it's just 0.5c. Nothing to do with what O sees (i.e. light from A reaching O).
thank you very much, that's the keyword, its measured from O's coordinate

diazdaiz said:
thank you very much, that's the keyword, its measured from O's coordinate
The fact that A and O are moving relative to each other is invariant, you could use any inertial frame to make that determination. But if you want to measure their relative velocity then you need to use either A's or O's coordinates. Using a different frame of reference will give you what's called a closing or separation velocity which is not the same thing as their relative velocity.

1. What does it mean for an object to be moving relative to O?

When an object is said to be moving relative to O, it means that the object's motion is being described in relation to a reference point or frame of reference, which is represented by O. This reference point is often used to track the object's position, speed, and direction of motion.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion is the motion of an object in relation to a reference point, while absolute motion is the motion of an object in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference, such as the Earth. Relative motion takes into account the movement of the reference point, while absolute motion does not.

3. Can an object have different relative velocities to different reference points?

Yes, an object can have different relative velocities to different reference points. This is because the object's motion is always described in relation to the reference point, so if the reference points are moving at different speeds or in different directions, the object's relative velocity will also change accordingly.

4. How is relative motion used in everyday life?

Relative motion is used in everyday life to understand the motion of objects in relation to other objects or reference points. For example, when you are walking, your motion is described relative to the ground or the Earth. It is also used in navigation, such as when using a GPS to track your relative motion in a car or on a plane.

5. Can relative motion affect the laws of physics?

No, relative motion does not affect the laws of physics. The laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, are considered to be true in all reference frames, whether they are at rest or in motion. However, the observation of these laws may differ depending on the reference point used to describe the motion.