Calculate Force Applied at Ladder Base (FAL): "Object Dynamics

• Thread starter Swany
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
N and the floor exerts a normal force of 1182.17 N on the ladder. In summary, the formula for the magnitude of the force that your friend must exert to keep the ladder from falling is FAL = (mL + my) * g * sin(θ) - (mL * x * g * cos(θ)) / L * cos(φ), and the normal forces exerted by the wall and floor are NWL = (mL + my) * g * cos(θ) + (mL * x * g * sin(θ)) / L * cos(φ) and NFL = (mL + my) * g * cos(
Swany
The ladder has a length L and makes an angle of θ with respect to the vertical wall. You have a mass, my, and are a horizontal distance x from the wall. The ladder has a mass of mL. Because the wall is slick, and the ice on the floor is slick, the frictional forces acting on the ladder are negligible. Find a formula for the magnitude of the force that your friend must exert to keep the ladder from falling, in terms of the following variables: x, L, m, θ, φ. Then use the following values to get a number for FAL. FAL is th force applied at the base of the ladder at φ above the horizontal.
FAL=

θ = 25.2 degrees
φ = 17.640 degrees
x = 1.488 meters
L = 6.2 meters
my = 90.0 kg
mL = 28.80 kg

Find the magnitude of the normal force that the wall exerts on the ladder.
NWL =

Find the magnitude of the normal force that the floor exerts on the ladder.
NFL =

I set the axis of rotation at the center of mass of the ladder, eliminating the torque due to weight. My two
positive torques are torque due to Fal and torque due to the normal force of the wall on the ladder. My two negative
torques are torque due to you on ladder and torque due to
the normal force of the ice on the ladder.

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the given values, the formula for the magnitude of the force that your friend must exert to keep the ladder from falling is:

FAL = (mL + my) * g * sin(θ) - (mL * x * g * cos(θ)) / L * cos(φ)

Plugging in the given values, we get:

FAL = (28.80 kg + 90.0 kg) * 9.8 m/s^2 * sin(25.2 degrees) - (28.80 kg * 1.488 m * 9.8 m/s^2 * cos(25.2 degrees)) / 6.2 m * cos(17.640 degrees)

FAL = 1204.30 N

To find the magnitude of the normal force that the wall exerts on the ladder, we can use the equation:

NWL = (mL + my) * g * cos(θ) + (mL * x * g * sin(θ)) / L * cos(φ)

NWL = (28.80 kg + 90.0 kg) * 9.8 m/s^2 * cos(25.2 degrees) + (28.80 kg * 1.488 m * 9.8 m/s^2 * sin(25.2 degrees)) / 6.2 m * cos(17.640 degrees)

NWL = 1201.32 N

Similarly, to find the magnitude of the normal force that the floor exerts on the ladder, we can use the equation:

NFL = (mL + my) * g * cos(θ) - (mL * x * g * sin(θ)) / L * sin(φ)

NFL = (28.80 kg + 90.0 kg) * 9.8 m/s^2 * cos(25.2 degrees) - (28.80 kg * 1.488 m * 9.8 m/s^2 * sin(25.2 degrees)) / 6.2 m * sin(17.640 degrees)

NFL = 1182.17 N

Therefore, to keep the ladder from falling, your friend must exert a force of 1204.30 N at the base of the ladder, while the wall exerts

What is the formula for calculating FAL?

The formula for calculating FAL is F = m*a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

What is the importance of calculating FAL in object dynamics?

Calculating FAL is important in object dynamics because it allows us to determine the amount of force exerted on an object, which is crucial for understanding its motion and behavior.

How do you measure the mass and acceleration of an object to calculate FAL?

The mass of an object can be measured using a scale or balance. The acceleration can be measured using a tool such as an accelerometer or by using the equation a = Δv/Δt, where Δv represents change in velocity and Δt represents change in time.

Can FAL be negative?

Yes, FAL can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This indicates that the force is acting against the motion of the object.

How can knowing FAL help in everyday situations?

Knowing FAL can help us in everyday situations by allowing us to understand the forces acting on objects around us, such as when determining the amount of force needed to lift an object or when calculating the impact force of a collision.