Objects smaller with distance (again)

• B
  • Thread starter Benjamin Fergus-grey
  • Start date
When he is up close to the sofa, the end or edge of it looks big because it covers up a lot of his view. When he moves away, the end or edge of the sofa covers up less of his view so it looks smaller.In summary, objects appear smaller with distance because the image they form on your retina gets smaller as the distance increases. This is because the size of an object is judged by the angle it subtends at your eye, and as the object recedes into the distance, that angle gets smaller. This concept may be difficult for a five-year-old to understand, as it requires a level of cognitive development beyond their current stage. However, a practical demonstration, such as using a lens to form images of a lamp
Benjamin Fergus-grey
Hi all,
Ok so the forum and internet are littered with the answer to the question of why objects appear smaller with distance but - can anyone explain this to me as if I'm 5 years old please? My son came out with this question the other day and I have no idea how to break it down for him.
Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
You see objects by the image that they form on your retina. As the distance of an object increases, its image on your retina gets smaller. To explain that further would require some simple ray trace diagrams that you probably don't want. But if you have a lens handy, you can form the image of, say, a lamp on a piece of paper and notice how the size of the image varies as you move the lamp further away.

Equivalently, the size of an object is judged by the angle that the object subtends at your eye. As an object recedes into the distance, that angle gets smaller.

box_01_01.jpg

Likes rumborak and davenn
Thanks guys, but i need to put those answers to a five year old. This is the challenge! I understand the concept, but lack the ingenuity of a teacher.

This is getting close:
But if you have a lens handy, you can form the image of, say, a lamp on a piece of paper and notice how the size of the image varies as you move the lamp further away

Thanks!

Benjamin Fergus-grey said:
Thanks guys, but i need to put those answers to a five year old.
One thing you need to remember about five year olds is that, with very few exceptions, they do not think at the same level as an 'educated' adult.
Piaget, an early and well respected educational psychologist, identified a number of different stages in cognitive development. This link describes them and gives the age ranges that are associated with the different cognitive levels. For five year olds, we are talking in terms of the Preoperational stage. They are still having problems in estimating relative sizes and have not sorted out many of the basics that come later in the Concrete Operational stage.
Your problem with 'explaining' the perceived size of an object is actually more of a Formal Operational level, which can take until late teenage, early adult - or even for ever. Many people are too busy to bother with some of the intellectual processes that academics love. Many people function at a very high level, judging by the results of running a successful company or playing chess - even without thinking about the why's and wherefores.
So your five year old is more than adequately served with the 'fact' that things look smaller as they get further away. I would suggest that being able to hide several bricks at a distance behind a single nearby brick would be enough and easily demonstrated. (Concrete) It's the what happens more than the how it happens. Steer clear of "angle subtended" etc. they are more likely to look out of the window at a passing cow. Father Ted explains

There's always a caveat with statements about psychology, of course ; many of the theories are not really falsifiable like good old Physics theories all are. But Piaget is still highly regarded and I have confirmed a lot of his ideas from personal experience of teaching and parenthood.

Likes 256bits, Benjamin Fergus-grey, russ_watters and 1 other person
Thank you. You are quite right of course. My son asks many questions about how things work. We recently had a great conversation about how clouds are formed, he was happy with the mechanisms behind evaporation and thermal behaviour, etc. This one is tricky precisely because of the explanation being mathematical in nature.
I shall present him with a practical demonstration and see if it satisfies his curiosity.

Good luck. I have been there, of course, but we don't remember just how we, ourselves learned this stuff. It is a big help for your son, to have someone who is prepared to spend time in answering these questions. It's amazing how many adults just aren't interested in such stuff and can't / won't discuss it with kids. Worse still are the adults who churn out nonsense in the "nature abhors a vacuum" style. That absolutely kills any investigative spirit and propagates the 'anti boffin' attitude.
Benjamin Fergus-grey said:
because of the explanation being mathematical in nature.
Perhaps you can present it in a less 'mathematical' way. At least, a diagrammatic and less demanding way with just a hint of the word "angle" involved. :smile:

Try placing him in front and up close to a sofa or an easy chair. Then ask him to turn his head so he is looking at the end or edge of it.

Then move him several feet away and try ther same head-turn experiment.

Explain that things look a particular size according to how much of the world, or view, they cover up.

1. Why do objects appear smaller with distance?

The reason objects appear smaller with distance is because of the phenomenon known as perspective. As an object moves away from an observer, its angular size decreases. This means that the object takes up less space in the visual field, making it appear smaller.

2. How does distance affect the size of an object?

As distance increases, the size of an object appears to decrease. This is because the farther away an object is, the smaller its angular size becomes. This is also known as the "size-distance" illusion.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the change in size with distance?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the change in size with distance. It is called the "inverse square law" and states that the perceived size of an object is inversely proportional to the square of its distance from the observer.

4. How does the size of an object change with distance in outer space?

In outer space, the size of an object is affected by the distance between the observer and the object, as well as the speed at which the object is moving away. Due to the vast distances in outer space, objects can appear significantly smaller than they would on Earth.

5. Can objects appear larger with distance?

No, objects cannot appear larger with distance. As an object moves farther away, its angular size decreases, making it appear smaller. However, objects can appear larger if they are magnified through the use of telescopes or other optical devices.