Obscure Questions: Lagrange Points & Life Support

• Thread starter star.torturer
  • Start date
In summary, Joe's work on Trojans found that a planet in a Lagrange point with a gas giant would not affect the gas giants' orbits. If the gas giants were of different masses, the two planets would eventually interact and cause a dance. It is possible to create an highly erratic orbit around a black hole, but between two black holes orbiting each other is much more difficult.
star.torturer
i had a brainwave this morning, i just was wondering about things

these are my obscure questions about Lagrange points:

Would a body with sufficient mass possitioned in a lagrange point affect the tides of earth?

Would a body with sufficient mas positiond in a lagrange point create other Lagrange points?

Condider a system; a star with a gas giant, and a H congrouous planet. The rocky planet is positioned in the Lagrange point of the gas giant, would it really beable to suport life, even if it were positioned in the "Life band"?

Thanks
Joe

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Joe! I did some work on Trojan orbits and Lagrange points some time ago, The Orbits of Trojan Asteroids, I'll see what I can remember...
star.torturer said:
i had a brainwave this morning, i just was wondering about things

these are my obscure questions about Lagrange points:

Would a body with sufficient mass possitioned in a lagrange point affect the tides of earth?
Interesting question. No, not at first. Assuming you are talking about a large body placed in co-rotating orbit at the Earth's stable Lagrange points L4 or L5. The Earth would be at the new body's mirror Lagrange point. There would be no net gravitational potential on the Earth from the new body. The overall gravitational force on the Earth would still be from the Sun and its tides, together, of course, with the Moon's tides. However, after many orbits the Moon, which is not exactly at the new body's L4 or L5, would be perturbed from its orbit and that eventually would change the tides on the Earth.
Would a body with sufficient mas positiond in a lagrange point create other Lagrange points?
Yes, you can have a (contrived) stable system of six bodies in the same orbit 600 apart around a star, all in each others' Lagrange points
Condider a system; a star with a gas giant, and a H congrouous planet. The rocky planet is positioned in the Lagrange point of the gas giant, would it really beable to suport life, even if it were positioned in the "Life band"?
I don't really know what you mean by a "H congrouous (congruous?) planet", but assuming you mean a Earth type rocky planet, then yes it would be capable of bearing life if the system were in the habitable zone around the star.

Garth

Last edited:
i was more interested in a orbit at L1? maybe
Joe
I don't really know what you mean by a "H congrouous (congruous?) planet", but assuming you mean a Earth type rocky planet, then yes it would be capable of bearing life if the system were in the habitable zone around the star.[/quote]
yes
would it beable to rotate?

assuming you mean a Earth type rocky planet, then yes it would be capable of bearing life if the system were in the habitable zone around the star.
in L1?

Would a planet in a L4 or 5 position with a gas giant affect the gas giants orbet?

would the moon eventualy move into a new orbit?

star.torturer said:
i was more interested in a orbit at L1? maybe
Orbits at L1 are unstable, after about 100 orbits they would slowly slide off into a 'horseshoe' orbit. If both planets were of more or less equal mass they would end up doing a dance with each other like some of the shepherding satellites in Saturn's rings.
would it beable to rotate?
Nothing would prevent either planet from rotating
Would a planet in a L4 or 5 position with a gas giant affect the gas giants orbet?
No - not if the second planet were put in an exactly co-rotating orbit at L4 or L5.
would the moon eventualy move into a new orbit?
Yes, perturbations on the Moon, and the reaction to the Moon raising tides on the Earth, are already perturbing the Moon into a new orbit - it is steadily receeding from the Earth.

Garth

i actualy meant if they were diferent sizes
or doesn't that mater

would you beable to have a star and a gass giant orbiting in a pair?
maybe even around a biger star?

is it posible to crate an highly eratic orbit around a black hole?
even between 2 black holes orbiting each other?

Related to Obscure Questions: Lagrange Points & Life Support

1. What are Lagrange points?

Lagrange points, also known as libration points, are five points in space where the gravitational forces of two large objects, such as a planet and its moon, balance out. This creates a stable position where a smaller object, like a spacecraft, can maintain its position relative to the larger objects.

2. How are Lagrange points useful in space exploration?

Lagrange points are useful for space exploration because they provide a stable location for spacecraft to orbit, allowing them to conserve fuel and stay in a specific position relative to the larger objects. They are also ideal for placing satellites and telescopes for studying the Earth and other celestial bodies.

3. Can life support systems be maintained at Lagrange points?

Yes, life support systems can be maintained at Lagrange points. In fact, NASA has considered the possibility of creating a space station at the Earth-Moon L2 Lagrange point, which would allow for long-term habitation and research.

4. How is waste management handled at Lagrange points?

Waste management at Lagrange points would involve recycling systems, as well as disposing of waste in a controlled manner to avoid contaminating the surrounding space. This would be essential for maintaining a sustainable environment for human life at these locations.

5. Are there any potential dangers or challenges associated with living at a Lagrange point?

One potential danger is the risk of collisions with other objects in space, as there may be a higher concentration of space debris at Lagrange points. Additionally, the extreme temperatures and radiation levels at these locations could pose challenges for maintaining life support systems. Constant monitoring and maintenance would be necessary to ensure the safety and well-being of those living at Lagrange points.