1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observing from Earth the clock in a spaceship

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spaceship leaves Earth at time ##t=0## with constant speed ##u##. Its clock is synchronized with the terrestrial one. At time T an earthling reads with an optical telescope the clock inside the spaceship. What value does he read?

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution says:
    ##c(T-T_e)=u T_e##
    ##T_e=\frac{T}{1+u/c}## and ##X_e=\frac{uT}{1+u/c}##
    Apply a Lorentz transformation:
    ##t=\sqrt{\frac{1-u/c}{1+u/c}}T## at ##x=0##
    And ##t## is the answer.

However when I tried to solve it I considered also the time needed for light to reach the Earth from the spaceship. As a consequence my solution would be ##t'## such that:
    ##t'=t+T-T_e##
    Is it wrong?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Can you explain in words what's being done in the solution? It appears you don't fully understand what those equations mean.

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    Ok, I think I have taken a few steps forward.

I misunderstood which points was the Lorentz equation applied to. I thought there was a time dilatation in ##(T_e,X_e)##, but it is wrong, isn't it? In the Earth reference frame, when the spaceship emits the beam of light the clock time is ##T_e##, without any correction. If that is true, I applied a useless Lorentz transformation, and by chance I found the correct answer.

So:
    solving ##x=ut## (spaceship) and ##x=-c(t-T)## (beam of light), I find ##(T_e,X_e)##: that is when the beam of light is emitted. Then I need to go back to ##(T,0)##, where the observer is. But why do I need a Lorentz transformation with boost ##u##? (I have to use that, haven't I?)

Thank you.

5. Jun 12, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's when and where the light is emitted as measured by the Earthbound observer.

As long as light is emitted at ##(T_e, X_e)##, it will reach the observer at (T, 0). The question now is what is the image that was emitted?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted