• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Observing from Earth the clock in a spaceship

Homework Statement

A spaceship leaves Earth at time ##t=0## with constant speed ##u##. Its clock is synchronized with the terrestrial one. At time T an earthling reads with an optical telescope the clock inside the spaceship. What value does he read?

Homework Equations

Lorentz equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution says:
##c(T-T_e)=u T_e##
##T_e=\frac{T}{1+u/c}## and ##X_e=\frac{uT}{1+u/c}##
Apply a Lorentz transformation:
##t=\sqrt{\frac{1-u/c}{1+u/c}}T## at ##x=0##
And ##t## is the answer.

However when I tried to solve it I considered also the time needed for light to reach the Earth from the spaceship. As a consequence my solution would be ##t'## such that:
##t'=t+T-T_e##
Is it wrong?

Thank you very much.

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Can you explain in words what's being done in the solution? It appears you don't fully understand what those equations mean.

Ok, I think I have taken a few steps forward.

I misunderstood which points was the Lorentz equation applied to. I thought there was a time dilatation in ##(T_e,X_e)##, but it is wrong, isn't it? In the Earth reference frame, when the spaceship emits the beam of light the clock time is ##T_e##, without any correction. If that is true, I applied a useless Lorentz transformation, and by chance I found the correct answer.

So:
solving ##x=ut## (spaceship) and ##x=-c(t-T)## (beam of light), I find ##(T_e,X_e)##: that is when the beam of light is emitted. Then I need to go back to ##(T,0)##, where the observer is. But why do I need a Lorentz transformation with boost ##u##? (I have to use that, haven't I?)

Thank you.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Ok, I think I have taken a few steps forward.

I misunderstood which points was the Lorentz equation applied to. I thought there was a time dilatation in ##(T_e,X_e)##, but it is wrong, isn't it? In the Earth reference frame, when the spaceship emits the beam of light the clock time is ##T_e##, without any correction. If that is true, I applied a useless Lorentz transformation, and by chance I found the correct answer.

So:
solving ##x=ut## (spaceship) and ##x=-c(t-T)## (beam of light), I find ##(T_e,X_e)##: that is when the beam of light is emitted.
That's when and where the light is emitted as measured by the Earthbound observer.

Then I need to go back to ##(T,0)##, where the observer is. But why do I need a Lorentz transformation with boost ##u##? (I have to use that, haven't I?)
As long as light is emitted at ##(T_e, X_e)##, it will reach the observer at (T, 0). The question now is what is the image that was emitted?